Forum Topics TNE TNE 1H FY24 Results

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

$TNE have just posted their 1H results. At first glance, another reliable 6 months of delivery. Not much to say.

ASX Announcement

Their Highlights

• Profit Before Tax of $61.5m, up 17%
  • Profit After Tax of $48.0m, up 16%
  • Total Annual Recurring Revenue (ARR) of $423.6m, up 21%
  • Net Revenue Retention (NRR) of 117%, above our target of 115%
  • Revenue from our SaaS and Recurring business of $223.1m, up 21%
  • Total Revenue of $244.8m, up 16%
  • Total Expenses of $183.2m, up 16%
  • Cash Flow Generation of ($3.8m) as expected in H1, and will be strong over the full year
  • Cash and Investments of $172.0m, up 24%
  • Record Interim Dividend of 5.08 cps, up 10%
  • R&D Investment (before capitalisation) of $56.9m, up 15%, which is 24% of revenue
  • UK ARR $28.8m, up 36%

My Observations

As first glance, a characteristically good result. Like clockwork.

Revenue and profit growth both somewhat weaker than 1H FY23 over its PCP.

However, the strategic framework and investment thesis is for $TNE to double in size every 5 years, for which it requires revenue and profit growth of 15%.

Cashflow typically weak in 1H due to seasonality in payments and receipts cycles.

With ARR at $423.6m, and 1.5 years to go, on track to achieve ARR of $500m by FY25.

So tick, tick, tick.

Investor call at 11am this morning, so I'll leave it there unless there is anything of interest on the call.

SP is more or less on its long term growth trend, so I don't expect much SP action. That said, don't care, coz this is one of the true long term holds that I don't really bother much about looking at the SP. Probably around fair value.

Disc: Held in RL

(Now my 4th largest holding; was 5th, but I have started selling down $ALU as I require the funds.)

mikebrisy
2 months ago

Nothing material to report on the $TNE conference call, alebit slightly upping how they guide FY to +12-16% PBT.

Now that they are deploying SaaS+, I am confident strong growth is assured for several more years. They target NRR of 115-120%, with the 115% sufficient to allow them to double every five years - which the market doesn't recognise in the SP. To repeat, that growth ahead of market without new customers!

The standout from today is the target to deploy ERPs using SaaS+ in 30 days. They quoted the typical ERP rollout as being 300 days with lots of system integration consulting bills.

If they can deliver this (they already are), then SAP and Oracle, and the Big 4, plus Accenture and IBM are going to hate them even more. A 30-day SaaS ERP deployment without system integrators is highly disruptive. (Some of my friends are global industrial verticle leads for the big sysem integrators ... they'd be s******* themselves if they watched today's presentation).

Ed and his team gave a calm, measured, and slick presentation and answered all the questions clearly.

With a 6-month roll forward on valuation discount, as well as another increment of time horizon arbitrage, I'd expect to see a raft of incremental valuation upgrades by the brokers of 7-10%. Nothing specatular, but relentless.

Every call I sit through I just wish I had a bigger position. The good news is that $TNE reliably offers pull-back opportunities through the year, even if today will not be one. When the time is right, I'll increase weigth from 6% RL to 8% RL.

Gotta love this quiet compounder.

Held in RL only

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

@mikebrisy you did better than me, i spent 20 minutes trying to find the webcast and didn't, so have looked through the preso and accounts.

results were slightly better at the top line for me and the rest was a wash, probably to be expected that there will be no huge surprises with this one. the growth is well signalled imo.

i continue to learn about software as a business model. i am late to this party as it wasn't a large (basically non-existent) part of the index when i was a PM. that would have given those investors who were familiar with it or did the work a huge leg up, but that's a different story.

i am intrigued about TNE, its clients and its competitor dynamic. spending 24% of rev on R&D is incredibly risky at first sight, but that volatility does not appear in results, the opposite in fact, TNE is perhaps the most stable grower I've seen. these numbers indicate that something is going on. the ability to control the relationship and integrate with customers from an incumbent position must be a huge advantage in this industry. the spending then becomes less risky as you can understand the clients requirements and wants and understand your product that is already integrated with the client. very different to building a mine or chemical plant. lol

the Govt and semi govt business skew is a big help as well i would have thought.

can the competitors batter down the gates? Possibly an execution stuff up with the big industry moves like from disks to online, or premise to the cloud would be required. or a series of poor calls on development, not understanding the client's needs. would be hard since you are quite close to them. interesting positioning.

sorry for the rant

held

mikebrisy
2 months ago

Yeah @Solvetheriddle . They don’t put the link on their releases. You need to register on the IR page of the website. Could be a little more investor-friendly!

Strawman
2 months ago

I agree @mikebrisy

TechnologyOne really is one of the ASX greats (and another where my own unrealistic valuation desires have kept me out of...).

Not many businesses have cash flows as bullet proof as these guys.

actionman
2 months ago

TechnologyOne seem to have the councils and Uni market to themselves. They are displacing a lot of piece meal solutions that have been stitched together over the years with a more cohesive cloud suite. Some of their customers are likely still running Lotus Notes or MS Access on servers under engineers desks which was the norm 20 years ago. Those staff are no longer having so much fun now that IT is all so serious and the junkets to extravagant IT conferences are now online, and/or they are nearing retirement and don't want to keep the legacy systems running anymore and worrying about new issues like cyber attacks.

I occasionally speak to councils and they are small customers compared to other levels of government or enterprise where the big 4 and the multi nationals play. Their project budgets are $400k to $1m which is at the small end of town so not many vendors care about that segment. Not when a Business Development Manager will cost you $200k+ pa. Councils are SLOWLY transitioning from on-premise hosting to the cloud and I would say that most of them are already TechnologyOne customers hence the Net Revenue Retention (NRR) >100%. Remember that SaaS includes hosting, licence, support, maintenance and account management. Some of this is typically provided in house or by a third party for on-premise systems, so when they move to SaaS, Tech One gets the whole contract to supply all of those services, and there's margin on each. That is one of the magic tricks with SaaS. The other is "multi tenant" where all customers are on the same instance of software such as Gmail but the limitation is they can't do bespoke integrations easily so most councils will have single tenant SaaS where they have more control of the solution and the integrations.

IMHO SaaS+ delivered in 30 days is a bit of marketing hype. From what I can tell it's just a migration from Tech One on premise, to Tech One cloud. It's impossible to implement a new "line of business" system like an ERP in 30 days unless it is effectively an upgrade. It takes 30 days just to stand up a project and clarify requirements. I recently spoke to a large organisation who aim to implement a new cloud SaaS solution in 30 months, and they admitted that they couldn't cope with change management any faster than that on their side even if the vendor could fast track. Still, SaaS+ would be a good elevator pitch to the average buyer with a day job to focus on.

UK ARR $28.8m, up 36% sounds like it would be critical mass in terms of scale funding a local team of say 100 staff? As long as they stick to their niche.

TechnologyOne are very similar to Objective Corp, so it will be interesting to compare their results when they drop.

Anyway, I'm a happy holder IRL and SM.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@actionman Interesting perspective.

Given that on-prem-to-cloud is largely done for current clients, Saas+ is about new clients and existing clients taking new modules.

While I know almost nothing about local councils, Universities (which have the scale of operations of a large town) spend a LOT on IT, and can spend months/years on large system implementations.

To put it in context, the IT Departments of Australia’s large universities employ anywhere from 200 to 500 staff - continuing and casuals. So the annual staff bill alone is several tens of millions of dollars. I imagine you can add at least as much again for the licences and infrastructure costs.

The annual total expenditure budget of a large university is of the order of $1billion or more.

Now consider Brisbane City Council, albeit one of the nations largest. Annual expenses are over $4bn, of which about $800m is staff and $2.6bn is “materials and services”. I’m guessing there are a lot of systems in all that, and $TNE have 500 product modules, of which I’ve no doubt a lot are in the LG vertical.

Of course, there are smaller LGs. For example, City of Moreton Bay has an annual budget of less than $1bn, incl. capex. So a big university, really.

I think the per client numbers in these two verticals can be very significant.

$TNE’s ARR per customer is between $0.3m and $0.4m. The largest will be several millions $, and the smallest (those which just initial modules) are probably on tens of thousands $.

In any event, I agree with you that a 30 day ERP implementation seems fantastical. Which is why the claim made me sit up and pay attention, and why I’ll be tracking what more they have to say about that over the next 5years.

Perhaps it’s 30 days to stand up one module? Still impressive. I know one Uni spent over a year trying to figure out what expense management system to implement. And I’m currently on the receiving end of change management for a curriculum management system change.

A leading indicator will be the UK, as they’ve gone straight to 100% SaaS+ there, with 5 (or was it 7? Check transcript) implementations done, and a pipeline of many more. Good news for us as investors is that they report UK separately, some have some visibility.

Anyway, lots of good reasons to continue to pay close attention.