Forum Topics AHL AHL Daryl's Role in AHL

Pinned straw:

Added a month ago

From the AFR:

Street Talk understands veteran Bapcor chief executive Darryl Abotomey was canvassed by the Mike Murphy-led Bain Capital about being involved in the buy-out. Bapcor disclosed it had received a $1.83 billion non-binding, indicative offer from Bain via scheme of arrangement on Tuesday, following a report by Street Talk. Abotomey did not respond to requests for comment.

Sources said Bain Capital was among a number of private equity firms that had tested the appetite of the former Bapcor boss. Of some note, it is understood shareholder John Wylie, who is leveraging a 6.45 per cent ownership to call for a board shake-up, had also reached out to Abotomey about his interest in taking the chairman’s role under a new owner.

The proposed Bain takeover offer of BAP could impact AHL a bit. This plan to involve Daryl in BAP 2.0 sounds like it has been brewing for a while and makes perfect sense. The timing is very interesting vis-a-vis AHL (1) the BAP downgrade (2) Kevin coming onboard AHL (3) Daryl handing over and being totally non-commital on his involvement in AHL post Kevin when SM interviewed him a few months back.

I can't see Daryl just stumping out capital to partake in the buyout and do nothing else ...

Given that BAP would be a competitor of sorts to AHL's parts distribution, not sure how Daryl can still be involved in AHL as a non-Exec director, if he is actually going to be involved in BAP 2.0.

Doesn't change my thesis for AHL, but I would probably temper my enthusiasm a bit, unless Kevin turns out to be a dud ...

Discl: Hold AHL IRL and in SM, Do Not Own BAP

Strawman
a month ago

Very interesting @jcmleng!

I would likewise be disappointed if Darryl was less involved in Adrad.. But he still has a massive holding in Bapcor and I can imagine there'd be some temptation to help turn it around if the offer was there. Then again, it sounds like it'd be a challenge and maybe he doesnt need that at this stage?

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.