Forum Topics STP STP Management meeting

Pinned straw:

Added a month ago

Well, this was one of the easier interviews I've ever done -- Greg is certainly a talker! But also, he came across as very genuine and his enthusiasm is contagious!

This has got to be one of the more impressive start-up stories I've ever heard. Amazing to think he went from his first orders being fulfilled in his bedroom in 2017, to $60m in sales by the time it listed! Even wilder, he was the 100% shareholder at that time because he couldn't secure any funding!! Amazing.

Oh, and it was already profitable then too, and he very much seems to be a conservative manager of cash (hard lessons learned from previous endeavours)

Another mind blow -- the Sydney head office has 10-12 people, according to Greg. It's an extremely lean affair -- they outsource everything -- manufacturing, logistics etc. The big exception being advertising; they don't use agencies.

So the model is very capital light. As Greg says they can afford to try a lot of things without risking too much (eg new geographies, ranges etc)

The fact they can deliver such strong sales and earnings growth AND payout 100% of earnings as dividends is testament to that. And the balance sheet is rock solid (although I have emailed him to clarify that - he said they had #38m in cash, as does the investor preso, but the Balance Sheet reports $28m.. I think someone has referenced the wrong year when putting the slide deck together)

The move into womens undies seems like a no-brainer, and the numbers reported today show really strong growth. I suggested this would double the TAM, but as Greg said it actually triples it because women (in general) spend twice as much as men in this area.

Another interesting thing Greg mentioned was a desire to build a legacy for his grand children. Maybe he's just saying things that sound good, but it may reveal a longer term focus.

The other thing that stood out with these results were how they contrast to other retailers. Yes, it's tough out there, but there's clearly something about their brand that people are still more than happy to pay up for relatively expensive undies.

At present, you have a business on 15x EV/EBITDA, which doesnt seem excessive at all.

I'm not a shareholder, but that may change! Hoping others can throw some cold water on it for me.

mushroompanda
a month ago

085a33ddec8270727c267d5989c40c21eb51ae.png

The results from Step One were impressive, leaving little room for criticism. The company is demonstrating solid top-line growth, operating leverage, reduced ad spend as a percentage of revenue, and strong cash flow, all while paying out 100% of earnings as a fully franked dividend (3.8%).

@Strawman hosted an awesome meeting with Greg Taylor the CEO following the results release. Greg has a lot to say, and it was great to hear about how he bootstrapped the whole business on credit card debt and built it to where it is today.

My key take away from the meeting is that Greg is a test-and-learn machine. Or perhaps direct-to-consumer is a test-and-learn business and Greg born for it. Some noteworthy examples include:

• Greg noticed that 40% of customers had female names, prompting a shift in marketing from “Do you chafe?” to “Does your partner chafe?” This change led to a significant uplift in conversions and sparked the idea for a women’s range.
  • In 2019-2020, while Step One was still an Australia-only business, Greg observed that 5% of orders were coming from the UK. One day he diverted a shipping container there, leading to the birth of the UK business.

One key insight is that men often don’t buy their own undergarments - over 40% of men’s underwear purchases are made by women. The expansion into women’s underwear isn’t just about broadening the addressable market; it’s also about targeting the primary family underwear buyer. The introduction of a junior range and bras further strengthens this strategy.

d00877fcf4fa1a28665fc032cba7d8c447458f.png

With the results itself, two trends stand out to me.

First, the company has managed its ad spend exceptionally well. Ad spend as a percentage of revenue continues to decline, while gross margins are maintained, and contribution and EBITDA margins are improving. This is, in my view, the most impressive aspect of the company - it might be on the verge of breaking free from the Google/Meta ad spend rat race.

This is likely through a combination of techniques. Partnerships with Surf Life Saving and STEPtember to attract new customers, indirect channels such as Amazon and John Lewis, and bulk discounts and discounted promotions to re-engage returning customers. Ad spend is still 33% of revenue - which is across both new and returning users - so there’s plenty of margin to play around to achieve better profitability outcomes than running ads.

Second, they’ve been going hard at increasing the average order size. In 2020 it was 3.6 items per order. This has now reached 5.5 per order for FY24 and with the run rate in 2H even higher than that. They’re sacrificing a bit of gross margin in the form of bulk discounts but making up for it in the form of reduced ad spend - which is seen by the improving contribution and profit margins. This also aligns with their strategy of appealing to the primary family underwear buyer. Underwear - unlike say RedBubble with unique t-shirts - lends itself well to bulk buying and repetitive purchasing patterns.

Personally, I’m optimistic about the US market opportunity. Management believes they have several strategies that have worked well in Australia and the UK - such as the women’s range, partnerships, and athlete endorsements/shareholders - that haven’t yet been rolled out in the US but are expected to be soon. Although commentary is pretty subdued in this area, US shipment data seem to suggest they’ll have a red hot crack in the coming year.

In terms of valuation, it’s not overly stretched. Trailing EV/E is only 22.5 and one can make the case it’s run-rating at under 20. The harder question to answer is “where’s the moat?” But then again, sometimes it only takes being 1% better here, and another 1% better there, and it adds up to become and multi-year growth story. How did Under Armour, Hoka shoes, or Lululemon become success stories in highly saturated markets? Did they have a clearer moat when they were fledgling companies?

Strawman
a month ago

"a test and learn machine" -- love it @mushroompanda

Also, I liked how he mentioned that he could try things for very little downside. These aren't wild swings for the fences.

The US isn't an easy market to compete in, but they seem to stand a decent chance imo.

Eand
a month ago

I found the interview with Greg Taylor from Step One very good, the fact he said no Debt was interesting to me as an Invester and Step One moving into Ladies underwear has to be good for Step One Clothing Company. I see them paying a dividend of .028 cents looks very good for an investment into this company

UlladullaDave
a month ago

Step One moving into Ladies underwear has to be good for Step One Clothing Company

I haven't watched the interview, but it seems like a no brainer, imo, based on the most basic observation that only single men buy their underwear. I reckon there would be a lot of women already shopping at Step One.

The underwear is very comfortable!

"I suggested this would double the TAM, but as Greg said it actually triples it because women (in general) spend twice as much as men in this area."

Could be plenty of potential here, when I read this, I thought the spend might even be 5 times as much as men!

Bear77
a month ago

They've been selling their ladies range for over a year already, so they've already moved into it - they just aren't giving it the same amount of advertising attention as their men's range. My wife doesn't like the pair I bought her (last year), and no longer wears them, but my son and I only wear Step One underwear, mostly due to the comfort and stretchable fabric that seems to last well and move with your body when you are active. They only come in "trunks" and "boxer shorts" styles, so both types have sections that go a little way down your legs, just the length differs (between trunks and boxers) - so they need to not ride up or bunch up, and they don't - they are well designed, comfortable and long-lasting, and much better than old-style budgie-smuggler-type jocks like Bonds, particularly for larger (overweight) men like myself, but, like I said earlier, my son is not overweight and he loves them also because he finds them very comfortable to wear.

Great products, but expensive, and I haven't looked at them seriously as an investment because of the reasons I mentioned earlier - I would want a few years of history as a listed company before I'd have another serious look at them. If they can maintain and increase market share rather than lose market share over the next couple of years, and if they can also maintain or even increase their margins, that would be great, and they would still have a decent runway ahead of them, so it wouldn't be too late to jump onboard, however the proof of that will take time - they're too early stage for me. I have seen too many great new consumer-facing ideas with plenty of hype fizzle out or be out-played by new competitors and become loss-making for their investors, particularly after the first couple of years as a listed company.

Was just reading afr street talk then and got reminded of this stock as they report founder selling 10pc stake in the company at a price of 1.70.

Strawman
a month ago

ah, so to clarify, the $39m in "cash" consists of cash and $10m in term deposits ('financial assets'). Maturity is between 3-12 months.