Forum Topics AQZ AQZ CEO Meeting

Pinned straw:

Added a month ago

I never thought i'd find myself saying this about an airline but.. wow, Alliance is super impressive.

MD Scott McMillan clearly has a deep understanding of the industry and knows better than most the struggles most airlines face. He also struck me as a straight shooter -- even emphasizing some mistakes and negatives (entirely unprompted).

So the usual problem with airlines are all the variable costs, most of which are beyond your control, paired up with huge CAPEX requirements and uncertain/variable demand in a hyper-competitive (and often irrational and distorted) market.

AQZ mitigates this as such:

• extremely astute buying of assets, most of which are picked up opportunistically from the hands of forced sellers. pennies on the dollar type stuff.
  • contracts which allow for regular (monthly) repricing to accommodate things like fuel, FX and cost inflation
  • contracts (be that for FIFO or wet leasing) that are volume agnostic. ie. they dont care if the plane is empty or full
  • work only with sound counterparties that have strong balance sheets
  • diversity of exposure in terms of minerals and geography.
  • bringing key services in house and, impressively, turning some of these into their own profit centers.
  • A clear understanding of their strengths and a resolute focus only on areas where they have an edge (eg. zero interest in carrying regular passengers)

Like I said in the intro -- this company has never reported a FY operating loss since listing and generates ~10% net margins and ROE. Revenue has CAGR'd at 13%pa since the float and net profit has tripled. Clearly they are doing something right.

I dont believe any specific guidance has been given, but clearly they are expecting further growth. The 'north star' here, as revealed in the chat, was the size of the fleet. A bigger fleet = more revenue, and (in theory) better shareholder returns assuming a continuation of cost discipline and ongoing attractive return on capital.

And the PE is ~8 after they just reported a 66% lift in per share earnings!

Anyway, some highlights from the chat:

• They will only pay out dividends when there is no more opportunity to reinvest at high rates of return and after some debt has been pared back
  • On debt, Scott clearly sees it as advantageous -- vanilla debt that is amortized over a long time frame, at low rates helps avoid dilution, juice returns and allow for further opportunistic purchases. It'll be wound back a bit down the track, but for now they are expanding the fleet.
  • I really got the sense this is an MD who isn't worried about building an empire. He clearly sees little opportunity outside of AUS/NZ and even in those places its the regional routes they care about. I suspect at maturity you will see them payout a significant majority of free cash flows.
  • What really matters with aircraft is engines -- the board spends 60% of their time thinking about this. And being able to service things in house is a huge edge and cost advantage (the new facility in Rocky should start to enhance things in the coming years)
  • no budget on marketing, he considers AQZ a wholesaler
  • He didnt quantify it, but suggested AQZ is by far the largest player in its chosen niche
  • "Wet leasing" (where they provide the aircraft, crew, maintenance, and insurance to another airline, who then handle all the operational components) is, in effect, the same in nature to the FIFO work. These contracts are very long term in nature and essentially help 'solve' the capital investment requirements for customers, and allowing them to manage capacity better.
  • no capital raises since 2020, where $100m was raised to bolster the fleet
  • Qantas has a 19.9% stake, which it acquired without the board's say-so when they picked it up from Luthansa (who sold planes to Alliance, at bargain basement rates, for shares). Scott wasnt happy about that at first, but Qantas does not have a directorship or exert any control over Alliance’s operations, and they are now their largest customer. (I wonder if we see a takeover offer at some point?)
  • There is a good amount of insider ownership, including from the original founding shareholders. Scott himself owns about 2.4% of the company.
  • Scott expressed surprise by the market's reaction to the latest set of results -- despite the record numbers across the group, shares are essentially back at where they were in 2020.

I am going to initiate a small watching position here on Strawman, and (as always) keen for someone to throw some cold water on this. But I was very impressed with Scott.

Dominator
a month ago

I haven't had time yet to listen to the interview yet. However, my cold water would be around the longer term need for Alliance services by Qantas/Virgin. Both Qantas/Virgin have orders of aircraft on the way but not yet delivered. For example, is the Alliance E190 operations for Qantas just a stop gap solution while Qantas waits on A220s as a replacement for the Boeing 717s? However, Alliance's F70/100 are very old aircraft so maybe it doesn't matter to much as the current Fokker aircraft can be replaced with E190s if they are used less by Qantas. Do we have any pilots/airline ops staff here? Are the airlines still struggling with pilot numbers and the associated training burden? If so this could be a current tailwind for Alliance that may dissipate over time as more crews mean less need for Alliance to fill the gaps.

Strawman
a month ago

Yeah some good points there @Dominator. Would also be keen on what any industry insiders think.

I uploaded the transcript to chatGPT and then added your post. The response, for what it is worth (remembering that these LLMs can make stuff up, but it does gel with my recollection):

Scott acknowledged that Alliance’s wet lease operations, particularly with Qantas, are substantial and currently serve as a critical component of Qantas's capacity management. While Qantas has orders for new aircraft like the A220s to replace older Boeing 717s, Scott emphasized that Alliance's E190 operations are not merely a stopgap but part of a strategic partnership that could evolve as fleet needs change.

Regarding the Fokker fleet, Alliance is progressively replacing older F70 and F100 aircraft with the more modern E190s, ensuring continued relevance and operational efficiency even if demand from major airlines like Qantas shifts over time.

As for pilot availability, Scott highlighted that pilot shortages and training burdens remain a significant challenge for airlines, which currently provides a tailwind for Alliance. However, this dynamic could change as airlines ramp up training and recruitment efforts. Scott suggested that Alliance’s strategic focus on cost control, operational efficiency, and long-term contracts helps mitigate these industry risks.

On Fleet Replacement and Operations:

• Scott stated, “We’re focused on strategically replacing our older Fokker fleet with the E190s, aligning with market needs and ensuring we maintain a competitive edge as our customers’ requirements evolve.”

On Alliance’s Role with Qantas and Virgin:

• He noted, “Our partnership with Qantas, especially in wet leasing, is robust. While they have new aircraft on order, the flexibility and reliability we offer with our E190s continue to provide significant value in the current market.”

On Pilot Shortages and Training Challenges:

• Scott remarked, “The ongoing challenges in pilot availability and training continue to be a constraint for many airlines, which reinforces the need for our services. We don’t see this burden easing in the near term.”

lowway
a month ago

Most impressive response by the large language models in ChatGPT @Strawman

I sat through the live version with you and Scott and would have no hope of easily reporting the same synopsis

PortfolioPlus
a month ago

My recollection is that Scott stated - not interested outside our regional area - Aus & NZ. Fleet would peg out at around 100, and in due course this will be 100 E190’s with the Fokkers replaced - but don’t overlook the emerging value of its parts business. Anyone who remembers PTB before it was taken private will appreciate the value of an airline parts biz. Fokker parts and E190:parts. And it’s got the capacity to do this now with expanded facilities In Brisbane & Rockie. My only worry is that Scott does something dumb like sponsoring the Australian Rugby side.

AQZ is a winner the Aussie rugby side couldn’t even beat the Chermside Heart Disease Clinic.

lowway
a month ago

All great points @PortfolioPlus BTW, Scott's a dyed-in-the-wool West Rugby (brisbane) supporter and will still be licking his wounds after a second consecutive grand final defeat by my mighty Brothers Rugby.

If he spills a little on the wallabies, I'm sure it would be a judicious amount only.. Of course, the old school Rugby contacts can still open doors in (some) high places, so it's not a total dead money investment!!

umop3pisdn
a month ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall Qantas already attempting to take over Alliance? The ACCC squashed the takeover.

Found a link:

lowway
a month ago

That's correct @umop3pisdn , back in May 2022 when I arbitraged into AQZ IRL portfolio (something I rarely, if ever do) Qantas was offering a value of $4.75/share in $QAN share swap.

My view at the time was I liked $AQZ and couldn't perceive a downside if the ACCC (which they did) knocked the deal on the head.

Still happy to hold for the long term (at least IRL), particularly after hearing Scott's view on the AQZ world today,

Parko5
a month ago

I'll just leave this video of Warren Buffett and his comments on airlines here:

https://youtu.be/OHvzyLEzVBY?si=vPne7yqt1xNhTE7N

;-)

lowway
a month ago

Very good video of Wareen and Charlie's view on airlines that sell seats on planes @Parko5 and extremely true. I got shares in QAN at IPO (yep, I'm that old) and rode the wave for a while and luckily got out when the dividends and hype slowed down and my thesis was busted.

AQZ is a very different beast and as Scott McMillan said in his meeting hosted by @Strawman Alliance doesn't sell seats or in fact care how full the plane is as they sell flights when they wet/dry lease their planes. They also get to reset pricing monthly, so have no need to hedge jet fuel and have more than a month's exposure to those cost increases, unlike a standard airline.

Of course, this is written with my Investor bias as a holder in SM an RL, so great to keep grounded by looking at any good info like you posted!!

Parko5
a month ago

I grew up in Aviation. Even have my pilots license. And have mates in the industry.

many or the pilots, ground staff took pay cuts after the pandemic. And lots of talk now for industrial action if pay demands not met. So keep an eye on that.

if i was going to invest I’d want to see how they have structured those agreements. Maybe they contract it all?

PortfolioPlus
a month ago

Scott McMillan did flag this as the BIG ISSUE facing not just aviation, but all commerce and industry. So, in addition to your question about existing agreements with staff, perhaps it would assist if we knew the degree of 'pass through' to the miners on FIFO contracts and the scalability of costings for wet lease hours.

Scott did say they have CPI increases quarterly, but this is unlikely to match the degree of potential wage escalations. Yep, some cause for concern on an otherwise clear sky run for AQZ. Big supporter of Scott and the AQZ team, just wish they wouldn't leave finance deals to the last minute thereby pushing the auditors to issue 'continuing business' qualifications (twice now)..