Forum Topics ALQ ALQ Risks

Pinned straw:

Added 4 weeks ago

Interesting. ALQ was down 10% at one stage and cut through the 200 MA before recovering to finish above that.

Citing headwinds in the mining division. That is interesting given that the gold price has been going to the moon recently.

Does that mean higher the gold price imply less discoveries and hence less work???

f8bd657cf0cf0f291f9bbbdfceb64255d8aaad.png

I'm still working out if 5% NPAT down is an overreaction.

Bear77
4 weeks ago

I note that on page 23 of their 2024 Annual Report ALS said they had experienced, "margin dilution from some recent acquisitions, minor impacts from lower volumes in Minerals, and unfavourable currency impacts in the high margin Commodity locations in emerging markets."

So there may be less tests being required, or ALS could be losing market share to competitors. Regarding gold specifically, I don't know what percentage of testing across their Minerals division is in the gold sector, and whether declines in the prices of other commodities have more than offset the rise in the gold price because of their commodity mix - in terms of demand fluctuations for their testing services (such as drill core assay results). I.e. there would be almost zero companies drilling for nickel at this point I would have thought, as just one example, except in Indonesia.

One minor factor that may become more of a factor over the next few years are large miners buying PhotonAssay devices from Chrysos Corporation (C79) and then doing their own testing in-house rather than getting testing companies like ALS to do it for them. We know Barrack and a few other large goldies have already purchased PhotonAssay systems, and more will follow, but it would be very unlikely to extend all the way down the foodchain to explorers and project developers because of the minimum test numbers p.a. required for it to be economically viable for C79 to install the systems. They are all going to go to the customers who do the most tests per year - at least for the next few years - as C79 are constrained by the cost and logistics of building and installing these units, and then training up staff at the site to use them. I assume ALS have already switched over from Fire Assay to PhotonAssay @edgescape - for gold testing?

edgescape
4 weeks ago

@Bear77

Fire Assay not dead yet. ALS uses 3 methods including PhotonAssay

https://www.alsglobal.com/en/geochemistry/precious-metals-analysis

I'm thinking that assays are done by volume so if there is less potential of discovery, then there will be less volume process.

Looking around all the exploration companies and we are pretty starved of a decent discovery since maybe Azure and Chalice.

I can't think of any large scale gold or copper discoveries off the top of my head too. Maybe one potential is Southern Cross Gold in Victoria who still haven't defined a resource yet.

I haven't really kept track of the majors that already have something or any others that have expanded their resource except for CMM (I sold CMM for example because I got upset about them destroying Maleefowl habitat!). Maybe Spartan is a good example.

As you can see I've been out of the gold and mining scene for a while. However the below slide shows ALQ still sees Gold as a big but diminishing opportunity.

e8a826ab6a4bd27c7a31efa8b0b26159b66f14.png

Analysts were forecasting EPS of 0.68 so 5% impact would be 0.65. Implying flat earnings growth from last report

ALS was trading at around 22x PE (underlying EPS 0.65). So maybe the multiple now should be 19x??

I guess the share price should go lower, maybe wait till it breaches 13. No need to rush in and I don't think highly of the CEO either.

Bear77
4 weeks ago

Yeah @edgescape that certainly puts some colour around their commodity split, thanks. Interesting that:

1. Lithium exploration budgets increased 78% YoY in 2023 - and probably reversed by at least that much in 2024; and
  2. Green metals, being copper, nickel and lithium represented ~36% of total exploration in 2023, and two of those are now the most bombed out commodities in 2024. Copper also spent a lot of FY24 in the doldrums, and there seems to be renewed interest more recently in copper but perhaps not enough to move the dial for ALS in FY24.

They do mention there the gold budget decline in FY23, but I'm not sure that would have been the most impactful metal for them out of that lot in FY24. If anything I would have expected gold budgets to have increased in FY24 on the back of higher and higher all-time record gold prices but not enough (in FY24) to compensate for the big decline in those other metals. Nobody has been looking for nickel in 2024 for instance - except in Indonesia.

edgescape
4 weeks ago

Minor correction, the announcement states NPAT will be down for first half by 5%, not the whole year.

That would make EPS to be 66c not 65c. Still pretty flat and lots of room for movement. So PE of 19x seems fine.

So I can still see this go to below $13.

The flip-side from the reduced share of mining business and shift to environment testing like PFAS will probably give the ESG funds more reason to buy.

But the downside to that thinking is the potential disruption from lab-based testing to more real time monitoring of toxic chemicals and whether ALS can adjust ??? This is something I'm reading about but I know that is seeing very far into the future ....