Forum Topics ABB ABB Fundamental Analysis of ABB
Rocket6
2 years ago

@Alpha18, those numbers are nuts, needless to say very very impressive. I am confident in their ability as a company but even I didn't anticipate 55%> of new net additions. Optus, Telstra and co must have their hands up in the air, wondering where it continues to go wrong. I wonder if the penny has dropped yet?

'ahhh, so THIS is what happens when we treat our customers like dirt for 10 years'

Superloop look like they are slowly starting to take some market share, so will be interesting to see how that one plays out. The company has just been ran SO poorly for a number of years - mainly from a financial perspective - that I wouldn't consider going near them unless they start to put some runs on the board and demonstrate an ability to be an actual profitable business. I also think they have an issue where they offer nothing unique in a market that is typically congested with limited pricing power. Interesting growth nonetheless through.

Rocket6
3 years ago

@jayjayjayjay, interesting question mate, I have been considering the same. I note a few commentators suggest ABB bears similarities to Macquarie Telecom (I dont think shareholders would have ANY issues with this comparison). If we see any sort of acquisition into cyber or data centres, we may start to see a shift/expansion in ABB's business strategy. I think the roll out (and subsequent ownership) of their own infrastructure also provides them with additional scope to target and move into new areas. 

With the reputation ABB is establishing for itself, I think it will make any pivot into a different thematic easier from a business point of view (onboarding new customers, on-selling to existing customers etc). 

jayjayjayjay
3 years ago

Yep I have heard similar sentiments about comparisons to Macquarie Telecom. Would be nice. 

Although I have thought this also because of MAQ I find it difficult to understand how they could buy a data centre but I haven't done much research. In saying that when I think data centre I think NextDC and I know they don't all need to be that large in size. Just don't think they would come cheap and would be all that available hence why I think it would be more in the cyber security area.  This would enable upsell in particular in the business segment which is a key focus of growth. Will be interesting to see where they use the cash from the CR. Given they are spending more on CVC expenses and marketing currently I would be surprised to see it happen before this year but who knows. 

Bondie
3 years ago

I work on the HFC network side of things rather than the ABB Fibre network or nbn Fibre network. 

My comments predominately were around how their retail customers view and talk about the HFC product and their ABB experience as a whole. Hand on heart they are probably the only RSP in this space that i cannot recall a bad comment....which is extremely rare.

Will try reach out to some of the guys working on the Fibre network to answer your questions but in a general sense, Fibre being laid has plenty of future proofing for capacity within the coverage area, private or nbn. It’s the reach of these private networks being the major limiting factor for growth which ABB is pushing through by interlinking with nbn.

The latest stage of infrastructure roll out for nbn is to lay more Fibre. Recent approvals for the next stage is estimated to last 5 years with a budget of 360 million approved only last month.

Bondie
3 years ago

Not technical but some feedback from the coalface for what its worth....

I install approx 2000 HFC nbn connections currently per year and have well over 10,000 to my name. Although majors like Telstra and Optus have a strong foothold in certain areas many of the smaller and 2nd tier suppliers have become more prevalent over the past 12-18 months. Although there's a few that seem to be gaining market share, ABB is definietly being seen more and more. When i stop and think back on the range of comments i receive, i can almost provide a bad story on any RSP, but i cant recall ever hearing a bad word from a customer about ABB. TBH, many provide a positive comment mostly regarding the friendly "customer service team" and with the fact they can talk to someone who is on shore, Telstra as an example will be bringing CSS back from the philipines by 2023 as i'm to believe from their last update.