Forum Topics EOL EOL National energy market
Vandelay
2 years ago

The Australian Energy Market Operator suspended the spot market in the National Energy Market. How will this affect Energy Ones business operations? Could potential permanent changes or regulation affect the company?

wtsimis
2 years ago

Yes being a shareholder on SM and RL i have too pondered this question?

My interpretation of the current issue is that governments and policy makers will be trying to address is the securing of Australia's energy needs then any excess power going to the market place (which is not the case at the moment).

The way the pricing will work for Australia's energy needs and then what is placed on the open market will be interesting to watch evolve.

What feels as an opportunity is for the excess renewable energy which i believe isn't all captured to be brought onto the grid to be able to resold adding to the supply side.

Plenty of questions to be answered either way and to interested in others thoughts ?

My 2c, first disclosure i sold several months ago as general derisking. EOL i believe do not hold principal positions so should not take losses there, however any lack of tradng could impact them i think if the market is effectively closed. maybe this impacts ST profits but it is a guess. longer term you cant but feel that this mess of an industry will put EOL in a good position given there expertise. it will be too risky to not be hedged etc for operators. any restriction on trading by AEMO surely cant be too long, these restrictions never work LT. it is complex situation but that is my (limited) view