Forum Topics Graphite
Rocket6
one year ago

Macquarie says graphite supply needs to triple to meet demand -- link here.

Key points:

• Macquarie forecasts a doubling in graphite supply over the next decade, but predicts a deficit in 2025 due to demand from the EV market
  • Demand from the EV market is expected to take up more than 60% of global graphite demand by the end of 2030
  • Macquarie initiates coverage on Syrah Resources with an OUTPERFORM rating and a $2.30 target price

Rocket6
2 years ago

Like lithium, demand for graphite is expected to hit unprecedented levels in 2023 and onwards. With 2022 having come to a close, it proved to be a significant year for graphite as lithium-ion battery demand beat that of the traditional graphite market for the first time.

https://twitter.com/georgemillerBMI/status/1610222712181358601?t=IHWWCai8yMT3BT78FwZ_0g&s=19

Wakem
2 years ago

@Rocket6 will be an interesting year, Syrah (SYR) is also an interesting geopolitical play being the largest working deposit outside of China, with refining capacity coming online in the USA...

Timocracy
2 years ago

Another one to keep an eye on will be International Graphite $IG6. From my high-level understanding, they both mine and refine/process the graphite in Australia (WA) and send it off to whoever needs it.

Beyond that, I am not in a position to comment on the financials.

More info on their site

Rocket6
2 years ago

@Wakem & @Timocracy, add Talga (natural anode, EU) and Novonix (synthetic anode, US) to the list -- the latter is personally my favourite play in the graphite space. But I will be looking to establish a position in Talga in the coming weeks also. I think these are both undervalued by a market that is being darn' shortsighted. I am happy to wait; these will both likely be producing stacks of cash in five years' time and I think the risk/reward is favourable.

@Timocracy another local one to keep an eye on is Renascor (RNU), who have a manufacturing operation in SA with government support. Again, patience is required here, but it looks interesting.

Timocracy
2 years ago

Ah, yes @Rocket6 I've seen Talga kicking some goals lately. Also excited to see how they and Renascor translate that into printing money!

Rocket6
2 years ago

https://www.livewiremarkets.com/wires/commodity-predictions-for-2023-part-1

See prediction #2, a bull case for battery-grade graphite.