Forum Topics IPD IPD Capital raise

Pinned straw:

Added 11 months ago

20million dollars at 13 cents. Well this happened a little quicker than I thought it would considering they actually already have 20million at 3million burn per quarter. Initially I wasn’t super happy about this last night but reading the companies reasons today has me actually really stoked. I just inherently don’t trust management for capital allocation until they have proved themselves and this CEO hasn’t yet since he’s taken over 4-5 months ago. How well will they scale. Richard Valencia the CEO does have experience (from LinkedIn) scaling companies but he also markets himself as great at Mergers and acquisitions as well. That is something I don’t want.

Pro’s:

1. Richard Valencia (CEO) “Following the inclusion of our technology on the NCCN Guidelines ®in March, the speed at which payors and providers are reacting to the news continues to accelerate. The funds raised will be used to accelerate the Private Payor opportunity and enable the scaled roll-out of SOZO systems in the U.S. With the impending publication of nearly all Private Payor policies in the coming quarters and no direct competition at present, the opportunity is ours to win or lose. The opportunity to prepare for scaling this business in order to achieve the success we all envision is now.”
  2. The expected timeline of published policies has been brought in by six months, with nearly 50% of Private Payors now projected to publish policies by the end of calendar year 2023. ImpediMed has received written confirmation that the first regional payor will be publishing its policy to include BIS by the end of May.

Cons:

1. The main one centres around different peoples perspective on a private meeting with shareholders in April. Unfortunately I couldn’t go so relying on here say. That is at that time Richard was asked multiple times about capital raising. Some people heard it as we are going to aim for cash flow positive first and then potentially capital raise if needed. Some people heard a caveat that was if things progress at a greater speed it may be earlier. So depending on which side you look at it this capital raise is a positive or a lie. I would prefer to have the problem that they state Initially we thought it would be 3-18 months until they got answers from private payors. Now its 3-12 months and everything has been brought forward by 6 months.
  2. The obvious dilution.

I’ve come around to feel that the capital raise is more a reflection of the speed in which they will have to roll this out. (At the moment they only have 6 sales staff in all the US). So am willing to give the management the benefit of the doubt and would rather a quick move whilst we are ahead as this would be very sticky SaaS revenue.

I have seen a lot of capital raises for biotech and this one feels like it actually has a purpose rather than just staying afloat. The proof will be in the pudding though with capital allocation and how they roll this out to profitability. With the best in class and a TAM of 3billion dollars estimated hopefully they balance quick growth and expenditure.

https://cdn-api.markitdigital.com/apiman-gateway/ASX/asx-research/1.0/file/2924-02667676-2A1450200?access_token=83ff96335c2d45a094df02a206a39ff4

https://cdn-api.markitdigital.com/apiman-gateway/ASX/asx-research/1.0/file/2924-02667675-2A1450196?access_token=83ff96335c2d45a094df02a206a39ff4

Chagsy
11 months ago

gre balanced analysis of the pros and cons. I would suggest a review of a similar company that was in a similar position: Osprey

the issue as I see it, is that this is a single product company with a great product but a significant execution risk; creating a binary outcome. There is no downside protection.

I used to hold about 5 years ago and have it on my watch list

Metis
11 months ago

Thanks chagsy I’ll have a look at osprey. I’m looking for reasons not to hold Impedimed. So I’ll look for comparisons. cheers.

Metis
11 months ago

I had a little look at Osprey and my summary went a little down the rabbit hole: It is a device to try to limit the amount of contrast medium given during imaging of blood vessels during a procedure eg. Coronary angiogram +/- stenting by a cardiologist. Over the years the conundrum has been how to give this without hurting the kidneys too much. The history of contrast and acute kidney injury has lead to a) biochemical changes of the contrast b) different fashions for decreasing risk via other medicines/fluid administration. None of these have been really proven. So Osprey decides to objectify the amount given so that it is standardised rather than given as a dose by the operator themselves (eg. Vascular surgeon/cardiologist/radiologist) via a foot pedal.

There are a few fundamental differences I feel: And I like this thought process as it has made think a lot harder about what is truly a moat in early biotech. Obviously Osprey has the benefit of hindsight for its failures.

1. The device: Both are medical devices that have to be put through the FDA and registered for use. A cursory look through the patent protection for medical devices through Chat GPT says there is a lot of wiggle room. So both could technically be improved and re-patented by someone else. Creation of this device from engineering to completion is 1-2 years.
  2. Measurable benefit from Device that is reproducible and able to be monetised: Does the device have the appropriate research behind it to actually create a meaningful difference to patient outcome (if it does another 2-3 years potentially of moat): I felt the Osprey research was inferior by a fair way made more difficult by the heterogenous nature of the outcome that could be confounded by a multitude of other causes of kidney injury.
  3. Osprey: Has multiple small studies suggesting it decreases Acute kidney injury classified by AKIN (there are two ways to classify acute kidney injury, both have pro’s and con’s AKIN is one). But the studies are looking at heterogenous outcomes including cost. They are small studies none peer reviewed, statistically significant, but so many more confounders.
  4. Impedimed: the one large study that is randomised and peer reviewed that shows a statistically significant difference for a very measurable outcome and less confounders.
  5. Ease of implementation: Both very simple to use dont require much training.
  6. Osprey: Sales techniques to lobby hospitals/Care networks (multiple hospitals under them) to show the benefit.
  7. Impedimed: two fold approach lobby the care networks and also the very recent situation where it is written into the guidelines for NCCN based around the quality of its research. This speeds up the process with one care network and insurance company already writing it into their reimbursement.
  8. When will they make money? How close to profitability is the company and how many more capital raises will they need.
  9. Who is on the board? and what are their strengths and weaknesses and are they right for that specific time in the lifecycle of a biotech, this is my one big worry with impedimed that I am looking out for and would potentially sell if things turned here. I am still a little dirty that they announced a capital raise at the same time they had market sensitive information that the first insurance company was coming on board. Why they didn’t announce that first and then raise at a higher price I have no idea.
  10. Other uses: Impedimed actually does have other uses for the same device: in cardiac and renal. This has been put on the back burner as it would require trials and money. But it does have other options.
  11. The community support and awareness: for acute kidney injury caused by a bit of contrast vs lymphodaema a life altering morbidity due to breast cancer that will just always attract so much more community support and awareness.

Multiple other points for me to start thinking about in regards to small bio caps. Not sure how to rate each point for importance at this stage but has started the thought process. Thanks Chagsy.