Forum Topics PLY PLY Updated presentation

Pinned straw:

Added 11 months ago

The presentation today from Playside had a bit of new information. Specifically, the 12 month forward work for hire order book is $28.6m as of today (this compares to $4.3m in WFH revenue in the recent quarter).

They did just over $10m in WFH revenue in FY22, and they expect about $20m in FY23. So great to see some ongoing traction for a segment that generates about half of total revenue.

Also, interesting that they highlight the consolidation of the sector with some of the large deals out there, and strategic stakes in many mid-tier studios. Not sure if that's suggesting they could catch a bid?

Bradbury
11 months ago

Equity Mates Thought Starters shared an article today which is relevant to some of the points discussed in Playsides recent presentation.

Here

Key points being the value of franchises, the battle for attention and the consolidation of the industry.

Bradbury
11 months ago

I also had similar takeaways. Notes below. @Strawman it still would be good if we could check in with Gerry again some time down the track.

• Staff numbers are now up over 260
  • FY24 Work For Hire currently sitting at $28.6m which is >30% increase on what is expected for FY23. This forms a good base for a solid FY24, with World Boss & AoD full releases, META VR revenue share, Project Phoenix and DoTS releasing early access and more mobile titles coming all coming though in the near term. This project flow means original IP revenue is also in a good position to maintain growth.
  • Next major title is both PC/Console
  • Overall industry tailwinds and M&A slides seem a bit salesy, but does give an indication of some of the capital that's out there in the industry.
  • Management are clear in articulating their plans and long term strategies. As Gerry stated, “the next 12 months I was already worrying about 2 or 3 years ago”. They see lots of value in franchises and are on the lookout for licensing opportunities.
  • Looking at ways of monetising the dumb ways to die franchise beyond games and how it can grow. 
  • Still consider VR as the future of gaming and want to position themselves to be ready for the transition.
  • There will be alot of focus on the publishing division over the next 12 months. Can expect to see some additional signings in the near future.
  • Playside are integrating AI into all aspects of the business, for concept generation, an API for searching multiple platforms for community feedback.

Strawman
11 months ago

I've already reached out to Gerry -- just trying to find a time. Hopefully soon.

Rocket6
11 months ago

Definitely some little golden nuggets in the presentation. Also that they hired Team17's ex Global Head of Publishing. I might have missed that previously being announced but just a reminder how reputable Playside are becoming. Team17 are a significant developer/publisher in the industry -- recruiting their head of anything is some serious validation.

I interpreted the industry consolidation reference the same as both of you. I also found it interesting that they are starting to separate DWTD from the rest of their mobile titles. Could be nothing more than the collection of games having a very good 24 months. Netflix will be rubbing their hands together. Maybe Playside think there might be scope for Netflix to go beyond a game for DWTD? Pure speculation but interesting nonetheless.

JPPicard
11 months ago

I read that section in the consolidation as exactly what you suggested. “People out there have their wallets open for companies like us”. Interesting, keen to see what unfolds in the next few quarters.