Forum Topics ADH ADH Lower guidance

Pinned straw:

Added 11 months ago

Things are tough in the retail..

Adairs lowers EBIT guidance (again), this time by about 16% due to falling sales.

If they hit the midpoint of this updated guidance, sales will be up 10% on FY22 (although that includes a full year contribution from Focus)

a32467e5775b1e9a40b4462f675521a9523b8f.png

Based on this, it looks like the forward PE is around 10 or so. If the FY dividend drops back to 13cps, you have a >8% yield

Value or value trap? Had my fingers burnt on a small position with this one (sold out at around $2), and i'm increasingly wary of the current retail trading environment, so happy to watch from the sidelines for now.

thunderhead
11 months ago

I agree. It looks reasonably priced, and may even be worth starting a small position in if you don't already hold, but it looks like the broader macro winds are only just turning into headwinds, and there is a significant risk to the downside as they continue to blow through the economy.

west
11 months ago

Agree with @Solvetheriddle that more downgrades are to come from retail sector. Bunnings will be part of it, although WES with the diverse business revenue should hold up their overall eps. I'm hoping for oversold market reaction to jump in with some dry powder to WES.

Solvetheriddle
11 months ago

Personally im wating for the leaders, Bunnings, JBH, NCK to have sizeable downgrades. the macro squeeze has been a long time coming, now looks like here. one of the most useful analysis you can do is work out if a company is over or under earning. retail was definitely over earning, will it now under earn or keep on trend? dont know that but its important to consider when scaling in. definitely CDisc an area to watch closely this year imo

edgescape
11 months ago

My brother in law got a job at Bunnings 5 years ago.

He already had a long stint as a painter maintaining the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Story Bridge in Brisbane. Before that he was working at Qantas as a painter for the planes before being made redundant. So he has lots of trade experience already.

But still, he had to go through FIVE (yes FIVE) Group Interviews before he got the job when they were looking for people to run their new store. It almost wore him down so he was so relieved he got the job.

He is still working there though and is a very happy and busy employee there. Get paid less than his old job but he did it because he was getting exhausted climbing up the bridges to do his work.

Something to include in your probability for those here waiting a substantial correction in WES which I've noticed received lots of upvotes. So maybe on balance of probabilities you guys are correct but personally I would not bet against a market leader that has the pick of talent as I mentioned in the above post.

BTW: I don't hold WES. Do hold Qantas though.

mikebrisy
11 months ago

What's most concerning, is we haven't yet hit anywhere near the peak of fixed mortgage deals roling onto variable rates, which sucks out a lot of discretionary spend. And, of course, the potential for softening of the labour market is yet to unfold. Possible offsets, moving ahead, are immigration and house prices picking up again.

Personally, I've decided to hold my two retail position ($ADH and $NCK) through the cycle. I've missed the smarter time to sell and it could be a dumb decison to do so now. Its a paper loss until you make it real, and I think both companies will still be there in 3 years time.

edgescape
11 months ago

Can't remember the last time I went to Adairs.

Guess that tells you something...

Not surprised at the share price action today.

Rick
11 months ago

The biggest dilemma I have in holding Adairs is the shopper per square meter ratio. I walk past Lovisa and I see about 8 teenagers jammed into a shoe box, then I walk past Adairs and I see about 6 people spread out in a shop the size of a basket ball court. This must put some pressure on margins when there is only 4 people spread out rather than 6! :)