Forum Topics KME KME AI

Pinned straw:

Last edited 11 months ago

Nice article explaining current state.

https://www.edweek.org/technology/what-chatgpt-could-mean-for-tutoring/2023/05

Based on the reading it seems to me that tutors work will be assisted by AI. Tutor won't be replaced by AI completely but it will reduce lot of admin work for tutors and allow them to focus on main goal i.e students progress. and my thinking is that is good for KME as it will increase efficiency and ideally reduce operating expenses.

Now not every company will be able to create their own AI powered system so i expect some technology company bringing platform to provide that service to tutoring centers. It would be interesting to see how it pans out.

thunderhead
11 months ago

I could be wrong, but I can't see AI impacting the early stages of a child's education and schooling. That will take atleast a few years to play out, and the confluence of AI technologies and the human touch could actually enhance a business like KME's prospects if harnessed correctly.

Hackofalltrades
11 months ago

Yeah the AI puzzle is one that I think will take a while out. I have a few thoughts:

1. Chat GPT is actually pretty decent at explaining maths and so are videos like khan academy. I think that good students will be able to use it.
  2. I still don't think this will be as effective as someone sitting next to them. Particularly where a student is missing a lot of prior knowledge, a teacher is able to identify this, where I think an AI might not be able to.
  3. Tutoring is as much relational and social. Often when I worked as a tutor, it was because the students weren't able to work independently, or with their parents and needed me sitting there! I don't think this is going to change with AI.
  4. It's unclear how AI will develop in the future. Having an AI actually driving the content could have potential.

All up, I think it's pretty unclear how it will affect the market. It could be substantial, or it could be minor, weirdly as Youtube appears to have been despite what an amazing tool it is. I think it will be different between the good students looking for extra help and the students struggling. Often the problem is motivation, which tutoring can help.