Forum Topics ABB ABB Rebrand

Pinned straw:

Added 11 months ago

“Aussie Broadband has tapped Melbourne agency Thinkerbell to co-develop its new ‘The Actual Aussie Way’ brand platform.

The campaign will also see the branding replace the “Bloody Good Broadband” tagline across the telco’s communications, customer messaging, branding and external promotions.”

https://mumbrella.com.au/thinkerbell-launches-aussie-broadbands-new-the-actual-aussie-way-campaign-789674

https://youtu.be/TqKV6PGPV8M

Makes sense to change the marketing message away from the residential to encompass the expanded business.

I'm not sure about the tagline "The Actual Aussie Way." It doesn't seem as catchy as "Bloody Good Broadband."

Perhaps, given it already has good brand recognition and recall with the retail consumer, it is deliberate. It’s clearly not so “ocker” and the promo depicts a diverse customer.

Trancer
11 months ago

I love this new marketing direction. It fuses the company values into a narrative that is appealing not just to retail but to the enterprise / government space that they're trying to penetrate post OTW acquisition (these buyers also watch TV). They're not just a broadband company anymore. They offer so much more, and the best margins are in their OTW space.

It's great that they don't focus on their price, or the performance of their service. Building trust around performance of service is something that Phil personally worked on for years, and did so publicly on Whirlpool, providing a level of transparency unparalleled by other suppliers. Phil would take time to educate readers on why performance is different with different suppliers and posted screenshots of internal systems to explain it all to the lay person. And when things went wrong, he'd be there on Whirlpool being transparent about what had happened. One could argue that Phil's work here upped the game of all ISP's in the market, performance is table stakes now because of ABB.

These days people choose them for their customer service and their values. They've built so much of a moat around their values that they're able to do things like sell their 100/40 plan at $109 per month, (Superloop = $99) . On that point, Superloop engaged in a customer retention campaign to permanently drop fees for plans like 100/40 and 100/20 by $10 per month. So ABB is making $20 per month more per customer on like for like plans than Superloop. What a difference that moat makes.

What has been consistent through all of this is their focus on values and that's what this video is about:

• "like actually helping a mate when they need it" - This talks to 'Don't be ordinary, be awesome'. Going above what's expected and injecting humor where appropriate. Also, 'Be good to people' the company should be family for both staff and customers.
  •  "Always daring to do things differently" - This talks to 'Think big'. Just because something that has been done that way, does it have to stay like that.
  •  "Go for the green" - I wouldn't be suprised if they put emphasis on this tagline in future. It's catchy, it's Aussie related (green and gold), it could aslso talk to ESG credentials in time and it's easy to see how this could enter the Aussie vernacular in future (similar to 'go for gold'). 
  •  "Telling it straight, without the BS" - Captures two of their statements of value: No Bullshit and Be good to people
  • "how they talk to 'telling it straight, no BS'. This is one of their core corporate values and it's the one that Phill Britt has championed for years as I mentioned above.
  • The whole advert oozes fun, which talks to their last corporate value 'Have Fun'. 

They even end the saying 'grounded in Australian values'.

The video is a collage of their corporate values, which re-affirms all the good stuff that makes their moat. I made a previous post where I mentioned that culture helps retain good staff for less, but it also creates a better customer experience and moat.

In my career I've worked for some large companies that have had great corporate values. Here's an example of one: CLICK HERE . But in this example, they were just policy statements, the staff didn't live those values, and they were all so generic. I bet PWC has an integrity value (irony). In any case, investment in people and culture, married with all of the top brass living those values = customers can feel when a company's employees live their values. I felt it when I met with ABB folks at a Gartner event last year and I feel it through their approach to retail. It's this moat that's weighs heavily in my investment thesis.

The proof of course is in the pudding, but i'm encouraged by this pivot.

I hold ABB here and in real life.

thunderhead
11 months ago

The existing tagline seems heaps better to this troglodyte :)