Forum Topics LRK LRK Not a luxury brand

Pinned straw:

Added 8 months ago

Just had a quick read through this AFR article.

05333fab0e02c936f0df4c0dd08ce2d6479ca1.png

As someone who drinks whisky I don't think Lark is a luxury brand. The only whisky brand in Australia that has this "status" in my opinion is Sullivan's Cove. Sullivan's Cove have real pricing power as can be seen by the sales on the secondary markets like the auction sites.

The new CEO of Lark talking about them being a luxury brand does not make it so.

UlladullaDave
8 months ago

Not a whiskey drinker, or much of a drinker at all, but what is the luxury price point? Just a quick look on Dan's and Lark's cheapest bottle seems to be ~$150. Granted that's not sheep stations but still that would have to be in the upper-echelon of mainstream whiskeys?

Shapeshifter
8 months ago

Lark is expensive but price does not necessarily equal luxury. As per that AFR article, Lark sales dropped 16% FY23 suggesting to me lack of pricing power as discretionary spend tightens. This is on a backdrop where luxury brands have been doing well.

4364e0e2fa1f97535a120f80d8688caca2ab31.png

UlladullaDave
8 months ago

Ahh yeah, I get you now. So the real "luxury" stuff is where it has more of a secondary market? Which also gives those makers more pricing power....because there's enough demand to on sell it. That makes sense.