Forum Topics RUL RUL Industry/competitors

Pinned straw:

Added 7 months ago

Interesting, might increase demand for mine design but perhaps not if it's only new mines but may also increase the demand for RUL's AMT if more trucks to track.

AFR - Energy transition: Electric trucks will be 19 per cent less productive (afr.com)

Battery-powered mine trucks would haul less ore and spend less time on the road than diesel-fuelled alternatives, delivering a productivity hit of between 19 per cent and 33 per cent to Australia’s biggest export industry.

A study of the most viable truck decarbonisation options found miners producing bulk commodities such as coal or iron ore would need to spend more money deploying a higher number of trucks plus recharging infrastructure if they wanted to maintain output volumes when switching to a zero emissions fleet.

Mining technology consultancy Idoba said the switch to electric mining trucks was unlikely to be seamless and the next generation of mines could be designed differently to better suit the charging needs of electric trucks.

Idoba head of mine automation and technology Craig Rodgers studied the viability of switching to electric mine trucks with batteries that would either need to be recharged, swapped or supported by overhead power cable networks, known as “trolley assist”.

The study found that battery charging would consume more time than diesel refuelling and reduce the availability of a typical mine truck by 12.5 per cent.

The weight of batteries would also reduce the amount of ore carried by trucks; the study found the type of battery needed for a typical 230-tonne truck would be at least double and potentially three times heavier than diesel fuel tanks and engines.

Mr Rodgers said the productivity hit from electric trucks would not necessarily mean lower export volumes of Australian commodities.

“I think the big miners would probably throw more trucks at the problem, which would effectively require more capital to do that, so there is an argument you would see a modest reduction in terms of return on invested capital for the miners,” he told The Australian Financial Review.

RhinoInvestor
7 months ago

I had a little look at the truck manufacturers … CAT promotional video for their first Battery Electric Truck. Have a look at the semi-trailer load of charging infrastructure. https://youtu.be/jt0k3TYFh3k?si=JLU-20fSiiYjNq5l

c0fd423a50f22fcd1c058c078f17171facd5d4.png

I also had a look at the Komatsu website … their Electric trucks seem to have electric drive hubs in the wheels with huge Diesel Gen-sets (with option for adding Trolley Assist … I guess like a tram/electric bus running off some overhead or roadside wires. https://www.komatsu.com.au/equipment/dump-trucks/electric-mining-trucks/830e-5

Interesting evolution of the industry. Given a lot of it is rental equipment, I imagine a Rent/Try/Buy model will prevail for a while (you get a semi-trailer charger at the same time as you rent the truck until you have bought into the concept and invest in charging infrastructure). Presumably this is all just a small part of the capital plan for these large miners. I think there is also the strong push towards Hydrogen trucks (from what I’ve read, Hydrogen is more appropriate for heavy vehicles & long haul).