Forum Topics C79 C79 Capital Raise Needed ??? Part

Pinned straw:

Added 8 months ago

Did a bit more work this evening and updated the C79 cashflow outlook for FY24

36c509125f350015cd33770eb77a8cb39159c3.png

Made the following changes to the cash flow xls of 3 weeks ago:

• @RhinoInvestor is correct around the capex per unit. It is looking to be ~$4.16m. Used the Appendix 4C full year capex for PPE, divided by the 11 units deployed during FY23.
  • Went through each of the 4 Appendix 4Cs to work out how many units were deployed in FY23 - 10 units in FY23 itself, 1 was due in 1QFY24, have simplistically assumed that they will have spent capex on 11 units, not just the 10, in FY23.
  • Added a line for the baseline MMAP cash inflow for the 20 units deployed in FY23 - this is $31.2m
  • For FY24 cash outflows, took the full year FY23 Cash Outflow from Operating Activities in the Appendix 4C, bumped up by 10% - C79 expects operational leverage as more units are deployed, not sure how good this estimate is
  • Took the exact Cash Balances from the 4C - Bank Balance + Term Deposits
  • C79 has available unused CBA Bank Facility of $21.5m as at end FY23.

The cash position at end-FY24 is now looking to be a SHORTFALL of ($1.3m) vs the earlier calculated cash surplus of $29.8m.

There will be ~$20.2m of debt still available at the end of FY24. This can fund ~4.9 FY25 deployment units, which given the FY24 plan, is ~1 Quarter's worth of FY25 deployment.

Funding is thus in place for ~42.9 (20 FY23 + 18 FY24 + 4.9 FY25) of the 49 contracted units.

The CBA facility size thus seems to make good sense, noting that it is contracted when the interest rate cycle has been on the up. A new loan facility sometime mid-FY24 is probably on the cards when the interest rate cycle should hopefully be on its way down. This should cover FY25 + new contracts beyond the current 49.

I do not see any capital raise occurring due purely to operational funding gaps. Indeed, given the high visibility of revenue, costs and funding needs, it will probably be a huge management red flag if they do not get the funding right ...

An opportunistic capital raise, similar to AD8, could be something to look out for in 3Q/4Q FY24, if the share price spikes to say $10-12 from the current ~$6 as a cheaper/more effective way of raising capital vs debt. This could be based on a better-than-expected revenue trajectory and/or a surge in newly contracted sales or expanded breadth of use of the Assay units.

Am happy that I now have a simplistic cash flow model against which to track the cash position during FY24!

Hope this makes sense.

Remaining very bullish on C79 and looking for the opportunity to top up.

Rudyboy
7 months ago

Enjoyed watching the C79 chat having worked with CSIRO and making them over $5m richer! The main person that drove our project is now Chief Scientist for CSIRO (still waiting for my commission LOL).

Reminds me of a visit I made to a local company here in WA that makes parts washers. Father had started it and built it, son now running it. Been in business about 30 to 40 years from memory and 85% of the units they had built and leased out were still in operation. When I saw the son's PA, I knew they were making huge returns as they generally only have top model PAs here in the middle of Perth.

Company was all private and not selling even though I am sure he could have picked a number.

C79 equipment will last far longer than 10 years IMHO. Looks substantial and much of it will be software updates rather than mechanical changes as the patented process will need to remain reasonably the same. I wasn't really sold on the consumables side. The real issue is how do you profit as a holder? The revenue model is great but the capex is scary. As a five year hold and forget, it will be good. Mr market doesn't have the long term Asian mentality in Australia, more like one month is a long time.

In a couple of years when they have critical mass I think it will be a solid buy and hold.

RhinoInvestor
7 months ago

@jcmleng just reviewing the numbers in prep for Today's CEO discussion and stumbled across note 21 of the Annual Financial Statement

a9907cc5410a63448b20e871c1fa8c8e515a44.png

So looks like the assumptions on cost side of growth in the model are about right.

I've also noticed a "Photon Assay Costs" in the financial summary in the Annual results presentation. I'm not sure if its worth taking that off your MMAP in the model and maybe using a monthly Gross Profit per unit of 95.6K instead of the 130K MMAP. It will make the model a bit more pessimistic.

The other thing I hope we get a bit more colour on today is the expected FY24 operating expenses (noting that doubled their Headcount expansions from 30 at FY21 to 55 at FY22 to 116 at FY23). I think thss number could conceivably grow by at least 50% to close to 30m if their HC ramp up was pretty even across FY23 and they continue to ramp a bit more as their install base increases.

123dd99b85a3fd6c39060cc833431ba6b1ec3e.png

Strawman
7 months ago

This is great @RhinoInvestor -- also, love the questions you have in Slido.

I'll be sure to put these to Dirk.

jcmleng
7 months ago

Thanks @strawman for the very, very good conversation with Dirk this morning. Walked away with a much clearer understanding of the financial, cashflow and deployment profile.

A few immediate bottomline numbers that we now have clarity on and will feed into an updated cashflow model:

• Capex per unit is $3.8m
  • Lifespan of each unit is 20 years, refurbishment is expected around the 10 year mark
  • Deployment planning starts 18 months out, each unit is ordered 12M out from deployment, but capital cost to the manufacturer is substantially back-ended such that the capital cost is paid when revenue starts being earned

Will put more detailed notes together later today as there is a lot more detail to digest and make sense of!

Strawman
7 months ago

My pleasure @jcmleng -- they seem to have a really interesting business here. Moreover, the unit economics seem attractive -- and I thought Dirk's comments at the end were really on point.

I'm having trouble uploading the video on the Meetings page, but you can find it here in the meantime:

RhinoInvestor
7 months ago

@Strawman thanks for getting to all of those questions on the call. Great info to help inform the thinking around valuation.

I found Dirk's back of the envelope valuation of a machine at the end of the call interesting (but maybe a little disturbing) ... no Discount rate being applied in his model.

If I model 2m Gross Profit per annum per machine and apply a discount rate of 10% then I think that's a 10 year (the number after which he indicated machine would require a refurb and accountants have depreciated down its value) then I get that as something like 12m gross profit. Deduct the 3.7-3.8m capital for the machine (not even taking into account its financing costs) and you are down to about 8.5m. If I were to value the company on that basis then their market cap today ($622m) would indicate they need something like 70 machines. Given the 20 machine install base with 18 machine per annum rollout their valuation seems to include around 11 quarters of forward deployment.

I also found his answer to headcount interesting (given they keep all the HC costs outside the Gross profit and sitting in operating expenses). Sounded like HC could double again. While it was good that some of this ramp up is due to geographic expansion (into new continents and countries) the HC per deployed machine has still been increasing over the last few years and it will be good to see if that ratio starts to come down soon.

DISC: Held IRL (and done quite well since buying in Feb 2023) still bullish long term but I don't think I'm going to back the truck up at the current share price. I still reckon valuation in low $5 range is closer to the pin.

Strawman
7 months ago

Ha, yeah I noticed that too @RhinoInvestor

tbh, while I haven't done any real work on this one, my initial take is to also see this as an attractive business, but one that is potentially a tad too expensive. Then again, fast growing, high quality revenue businesses often look that way!

jcmleng
7 months ago

@RhinoInvestor, after your comments, I re-listened to the back end of the conversation where Dirk talked about the machine valuation. The numbers came us when Strawman asked what was the most misunderstood point about C79 in conversations with shareholders. I took his reply with the numbers to illustrate his point that the market has not wrapped their head around the step increase in 20-year annuity revenue streams that each unit adds to the overall company's value. I suspect he knew he had oversimplified the numbers because he then clarified the numbers he used. Hence, his use of the numbers did not trouble me given the transparency of the financials overall. But your calculations make sense to temper that bullishness!

The headcount response was interesting. I have a different perspective on that.

Dirk talked extensively about "being the best technology and providing the best customer experience while there is no competition" as their current main focus. He also talked about the new technology risk being reduced for new customers as global adoption of PA gained pace. I was watching out for signs of arrogance and complacency from Dirk as the moat is such a strong one (I had images of Gru addressing his minions in wanting to steal the moon!). That he is driving C79 with this mindset with no hint of arrogance, but rather to strengthen the moat, was a big tick for me.

They cannot do this without adding upfront headcount I think. The technology is new and there is no ready pool of experienced people they can bring in at short notice to boost capacity, either for Support or deployment acceleration. They will have to be blooded from scratch, or best case, pinch experienced PA users from customer sites ....

FY24's headcount growth will be telling in terms of C79's plans round both moat entrenchment and future deployment acceleration - it is probably also a bit of a leading indicator of deployment acceleration.

I thus think they have no choice but to increase their technical/operational headcount now, rather than constrain it to keep a lid on costs. In fact, I would probably see headcount reductions or flatlining as quite a red flag as it could signal a slowdown in deployment momentum and/or dminished customer experience.

What will also be good to see is a chart which shows headcount by region, country, site, current and planned - to line up with Dirk's model of headcount. This should then inform as to whether headcount additions are wise or frivolous moves.

RhinoInvestor
7 months ago

@jcmleng I found the point that he expected Headcount to double again this year a bit disturbing actually. That's mainly because they carry the HC number in operating expenses. This number increased from 9.7m to 19.4m last year as they doubled HC and if they double again then that will consume most of the Gross Profit increases from the increase of 20 up to 38 deployed units.

cb155cf9c0eae330ca299c81f96028201b94ef.png

I can understand that it needs to grow with rollout geographically to service the equipment, my main concern is it seems to be linear (actually the ratio of HC to installed machines has been increasing over the last couple of years). I'm wondering where they get to the economy of scale point.