Forum Topics C79 C79 $75m Placement Completed

Pinned straw:

Added 6 months ago

Like many retail investors, I am admittedly wired up to "dislike capital raises", almost by default. However, having experienced 4 capital placements in the last 2-ish months, I can sense my thinking and emotions gradually changing to not instinctively dislike, but to assess each raise on its own merits.

Being the cricket tragic that I am, to use cricketing analogies:

• ALC and WSP was not great - "fairly severe batting collapse after a good solid start by the openers, required run rate is accelerating to worrying levels"
  • AD8 and now C79 - both feel like "a good understanding and use of the conditions, opening partnership is flourishing and platform is being set for a huge innings and subsequent win .."

The C79 Placement

• 11.4m shares at an offer price of $6.60, a 7.7% discount to the last closing price of $7.15 on Fri 3 Nov 2023 - I was expecting a $6.50 raise, at the time of writing, C79 is trading ~$6.70-ish, so pricing seems good
  • New shares represent 11% of existing shares on issue and was not underwritten
  • Placement raises C79’s funds available to $108m - $75m Placement + $33m Cash, excludes untapped debt facilities

Use of Funds

• Support the deployment of new PhotonAssayTM units - ~90%
  • Development of (1) PhotonAssay Gen II (2) Application Development (3) Supply Chain resilience - ~10%
  • Includes, subject to the provision of new debt, the potential expansion of manufacturing capacity beyond 18 units per year over the medium-term - this would result in a positive step up of earnings growth
  • Strengthen the Company’s balance sheet, which in turn is expected to assist with its discussions with lenders, ensuring that it is best placed to optimise its capital structure moving forward. 
  • The Company is already in a position of generating positive operating cash flows from its existing 22 deployed units and therefore funds raised from the Placement can be applied primarily towards growth. 

My Thoughts

• Clearly defined and focused use of funds for Deployment Growth and Development of Improvements - a good place to be as the units deployed moves closer to positive operating cash flow
  • The recent Barrick & MSALABS partnership provided strong technology validation and appears to be a pivotal moment which will now drive momentum acceleration of deployment, manufacturing and further Gen II improvements - funding is now in place to drive that momentum via the placement, which will inevitably be followed up by increased debt facilities on more favourable terms
  • No additional sales have been formally announced, but appears inevitable
  • The placement reflects management’s long-term 360 degree thinking and business confidence

Things are coming together very nicely for C79 - sales conversion, deployment momentum, product improvements, improving of manufacturing capacity, supply chain resilience.

Discl: Held IRL

44b1ffc7a5569a363921195203956a83044adb.png

b44401d81c3bb901356410fa85a8fb135ede46.png

RhinoInvestor
6 months ago

At least I saw this one coming. Wasn’t sure what the level of dilution or price was going to be, but it was clear to me that they were going to run out of money pretty soon which would then hamper their ability to grow given the capital intensive nature of the machines themselves.

A bit disappointing that CEO insinuated they would have no problem getting further debt funding on our recent call (at least that’s what I walked away with) so I was hoping they had managed to find a leveraged way to grow.

At least it’s now out of the way, we know what the scale is and we know the level of dilution. They have certainly had a good run up in share price recently so pretty good timing. @jcmleng did they also offer an SPP for existing shareholders or was it an institutional placement only?

DISC: held IRL and in Strawman.

jcmleng
6 months ago

You absolutelydid @RhinoInvestor!

I walked away with the same "we prefer debt" feeling after the call with Dirk. The math did show that the funding would run out before all the current committed 49 units would be deployed in the absence of new sales. Together with Dirk's comments, it didn't feel like funding was a focus at this time, until at least 3Q/4Q FY2024.

The Barrick announcement of the additional 10 units will have accelerated the funding requirement significantly, not only for the units themselves, but the overall manufacturing capacity.

Fully agree with timing - the market reaction to the Barrick announcement would have been the icing on the cake that was already mostly baked ...

No SPP for retailers unfortunately.

Discl: Held IRL and now in SM as of today!

edgescape
6 months ago

The positive for this is that it was an institutional placement so obviously smart money showed some interest in chipping in. Pity about the discount.

RhinoInvestor
6 months ago

I’m interested in what sort of economics the smaller Gen2 machine has. Maybe there is opportunity for a smaller up front capital cost while retaining the revenue (minimum charge + AAC) model based upon the number of tests. If it costs less to build and deploy, that could significantly change the commercial model and would also allow them to place machines at some of the smaller mine-sites in the target 600 therefore accelerating the progress through the identified TAM.

I will have to have a look at topping up soon now that the dilution uncertainty has been crystallised.

edgescape
6 months ago

It's interesting how this has recovered from the placement.

However $75m is lots of money and shows the instos really wanted to be a part of the story.

It's not as big as Azure Minerals (AZS) but still a fair chunk of money without the lead brokers stepping in.

So looking at this from a high level without going into the math and forecasting, this was a good raise from a sentiment view.

Looks like my instinct to buy the dip that day worked for now.

[held]