Forum Topics AVA AVA Special Dividend

Pinned straw:

Added 6 months ago

It's been weeks since AVA anounced a special dividend. I've got this one sitting in the back of my head ever since.

To be very honest, I still don't have any idea what the hack was that all about.

This is not a rational decision in any universe. The company still has debt from the GJD acquisition, the earning was negative and the first quarter delivered a sister kissing result.

I know the company did claim that the second half will be significantly better but who knows if it's ganna be another Aura IQ.

I watched the AGM recording and was hoping that someone would ask about the dividend. Unfortunatly, it was just two dudes bitching about not getting enough ANN or didn't want to hear updates from Linkedin.

I do appreciate that the company took the dividend policy quite seriously. After all, the EBITDA was positive for FY23.

But still, that was not rational. Nobody needed this dividend. It was nothing even for David Cronin (he's getting about 10 grand I guess).

It's never a good sign seeing the management making a decision that does not purely serving the purpose of growing the busines. It's also quite bizarre seeing a small cap company trying so hard to act like a dividend stock.

I could really need some other point of view here. Let me know what you guys think about this $0.0017 dividend.

Slideup
6 months ago

@fcmaster26, I'm similiar to you - I was confused when they first announced the dividend policy last year when it was linked to EDITDA and not NPAT and am still confused about its purpose today. I also would think paying down debt would be a more sensible use of funds.

The only reason I can think of them implementing and then executing this policy while cashflow was negative, is that they are trying to communicate that they don't need the cash to fund the guided growth in revenue and margin expansions. To me that would be the time to bring on a dividend policy. It seems a bit of a trend for these small caps to pivot from a pure growth narrative to a growth + dividend narrative, I hope there is more to it than this though.

There have been a few head scratching moments this year with AVA for me - another was when they kept implying the aura x contracts they were winning had ongoing ARR component, but when you break it down the ARR is minimal and wont move the needle much.

The main redeeming feature for me is that it is very cheap if they can execute their plan and hit their guided revenue and margin expansion targets. H2 will be a key determinant of how likely this is and whether managements word is worth anything.

Strawman
6 months ago

I share your frustration @fcmaster26 agree with your take @Slideup -- it's all about saying "hey look at how confident we are in our funding and growth expectations".

The total value of the special dividend is $433k -- so pretty pointless when spread across all shareholders and money that I agree would have been better spent on reducing their debt (which is rather modest but is mainly an overdraft facility that charges 8.5%).

Anyway, it's not that big a deal so long as we see some of that anticipated growth and margin expansion come through..

Hackofalltrades
6 months ago

Could there be some kind of institution that requires a dividend before investment or something silly like that?

fcmaster26
6 months ago

Usually an institution requires a minimum revenue or net profit and consecutive years of positive cash flow or earning.

Dividend is probably the least an institution would care about since it’s chasing mainly capital gain here.