Forum Topics RMD RMD Industry/competitors

Pinned straw:

Added 5 months ago

DreamStation 2 safety warning could delay Philips returning to the market 

On 28 Nov 2023, the FDA issued a safety communication warning to users of Philips' Dreamstation 2 devices that their devices could overheat. The FDA has received 270 Medical Device Reports (MDRs) between 1 Aug 2023 and 15 Nov 2023 of thermal issues such as fire, smoke, burns and other signs of overheating (vs 30 MDRs in the previous 3 years)

From RBC Capital Markets:

We believe this issue for Philips' CPAP devices could further delay the finalisation of its Consent Decree and therefore lead to an extension of its time out of the new patient market in the US. We currently assume Philips returns to the Americas new patient market during the Sep 24 qtr, and therefore any delay to the finalisation of Philips’ Consent Decree could lead to higher devices sales for RMD. This new overheating issue for DreamStation 2 devices may also impact Philips' sales to new patients in markets outside the US, which could also lead to higher device sales for RMD in RoW markets 

DISC: Held in SM & RL

Metis
5 months ago

Other potential competitors:

1. Surgical hypoglossal nerve stimulation, currently two companies are Imthera and inspire (currently long term treatment success around 75%) There was also a private US company that did a first in human percutaneous (needle techniques and far less invasive) at my hospital the other day. We have one of the eminent sleep surgeons and having a chat to him It seems like a bit of a race between companies in this space. The percutaneous approach could change things up. Solid distance away though.

The indications for surgery are BMI less than 35, not tolerating CPAP, moderate to severe OSA.

I don’t think it will change the dial meaningfully anytime soon but a fairly quick percutaneous approach could be something to look out for in the future.

i don’t hold, am someone who couldn’t quite get over the fact i had two options back in the day Resmed at 5 dollars or some other shitty share and chose the latter.

Solvetheriddle
5 months ago

@Metis thanks for that, not being a medical guy but following RMD for a couple of decades, there appears to have been a constant stream of other therapies that for one reason or another didnt get much traction. RMD GTM is very strong, maybe the strongest of the medical device companies i have come across. i sold it for a circa 10% profit back in the $7's but am back in now in this latest pullback, would love a time machine but have given that idea up.

Metis
5 months ago

nice @Solvetheriddle so many things have come and gone promising to improve sleep apnoea, but Resmed continues on. This surgical technique is still in a subset of patients too so not going to move the dial anytime soon, but possible could in future.

Equally more failure from surgical techniques to garner some of the market just improves the thesis.