Forum Topics PLY PLY Warner Brothers IP

Pinned straw:

Added 5 months ago

Playside has struck a multi-game license with Warner Brothers. They'll produce two games based on Warner Brothers IP (I believe they own the rights to DC Universe, Harry Potter, Looney Tunes, Game of thrones, among others) -- we'll find out exactly what brands the games will be based on in the next 6 months or so. (I'm personally gunning for a Batman title!)

Playside will pay a license fee and provide Warner Bros with royalty payments based on the revenue they generate from the titles.

No specific financials mentioned, and the games could be a total flop, but it is encouraging that they are striking deals with such big name counterparties.

ASX announcement here

Held.

Rocket6
5 months ago

@Strawman I am cautiously bullish with respect to this. A lot of the gaming industry is based around big titles, or leveraging off well-known titles -- perhaps not previously seen in the gaming format -- to produce successful hits. This is the direction that they are heading with DWTD if I had to hazard a guess i.e. trying to leverage off the brand/appeal they have created and running with it in various different ways.

This play, albeit different, is a good move. We also get additional validation that Playside have been trusted with the IP of one of the majors. The big question mark now: what is the title and what can Playside do with it? It goes without saying that the bigger the title is, the better. It is almost a free hit in this regard, if the title is big enough the game will have eyes on it, particularly reviewers and streamers. Playside potentially have an enormous opportunity to capitalise on this. The clue we are given is 'highly recognisable'.

I might be getting a little carried away but this path excites me. Lets just hope they can do whatever the title is justice. The opportunity is a big one.

For the fun of it, I will have a punt -- I am going with Scooby-Doo or Looney Tunes.

Strawman
5 months ago

No I agree @Rocket6 -- a big opportunity. EG. The next Star Wars movie may well be terrible, but it'll still get a lot of attention.

As with making a successful movie, game development is more art than science. But the upside can be gigantic when you deliver a hit -- not just the very high gross margin revenue it delivers, but also the likelihood you'll be selected to work with other big brands.

Needless to say, if they produce a flop, the opposite is true..