Forum Topics ABB ABB $SLC Bid

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

ASX Announcement

$ABB has come out this morning with an all-scrip non-binding indicative bid for Superloop, clearly deciding to leverage its recovered SP.

The deal implies a value of $0.95 per $SLC share, against Friday close of $0.875.

I note that across 5 analysts that cover $SLC, the range of broker vals. are $1.00 to $1.17, which is quite a tight range and indicates that there may (will?) be a need for $ABB to raise their bid significantly before getting a Board recommendation.

So, its an opening deal to allow $ABB to get the due diligence process underway.

$SLC delivered strong results last week, with Revenue up 32.7% to PCP, underlying EBITDA of $23m up 83% to pcp and OpCF of $24m.

$SLC would significantly enhance $ABB's infrastructure network, although I don't yet understand what the implications of overlapping coverage in metro areas is.

Clearly, coming right of the back of the finalised $SYM deal, $ABB has decided that its strategy is to concentrate the market of the leading attackers, to strengthen it ability to continue to take share from the major incumbents.

This is a significantly larger deal than either $OTW or $SYM.

The deal looks a bit low-ball, so my bet is that $SLC board will decline.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

$SLC Rejects $ABB bid

As expected, the lowball bid is rejected. Not even good enough to get into due diligence.

Ball in $ABB's court.

In any event, they've picked up 19.9% of $SLC at what now looks to be a cheap price.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

$ABB have picked up 19.9% of $SLC at $0.95. This looks like a serious effort!

eefa9229b4f45191b69b7732e427269b14acb7.png

thunderhead
2 months ago

Not sure what to make of this new found aggression from Phil Britt and co.

The management team is capable, but are they land grabbing a bit too fast and biting off more than they can chew? Hope it has a happy ending like it did for UWL shareholders recently.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@thunderhead am thinking the same. In their favour, they have so far retained the CEO of OTW, and he has clearly become a valued and trusted member of the team, having been made CEO of Symbio. That speaks to a positive and inclusive management culture, the absence of which can cause problems in integrating businesses.

But it does raise a question. The choice is, to play it safe and bale out, or believe that Phil and his team have the leadership capability and experience to see this through.

All that said, $SYM and $SLC will create an internal focus, and what differentiates $ABB is their customer focus. The history or acquisitions is covered in cases where customer focus was lost. So there is no escaping that it is a risk.

Rocket6
2 months ago

Very surprised to hear this. Superloop is not a high quality business and I am struggling to see the value add they bring the table. Two main points:

• Superloop's fibre infastructure, while providing ABB with expanded coverage, is much poorer quality than that of ABB's -- a good portion of their coverage is in areas lacking demand, whereas ABB's rollout was much more deliberate in targeting in-demand areas.
  • Superloop is principally an ISP -- a reseller of NBN. Aussie's other acquisitions have targeted value adding services to their already existing business streams. Do Aussie need to strengthen their ISP? I would suggest no. But what they do acquire is probably the next tier of customers (outside of ABB customers) that prioritise speed and service. At the very least, Superloop has a solid reputation relating to both. I wouldn't suggest this is anywhere near a good enough reason to acquire them though.

The devil will be in the detail.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@Rocket6 I hope Phil runs an investor presentation to set out his thinking. He probably wont until they get acceptance of an unconditional offer. It has got me scratching my head. I also wonder what $ABB's plan is to expand network coverage. I historically considered their being focused on high demand areas was a strength and not a limitation. I wonder if the rationale is little more than scale of customer base to support greater scale in customer acquistion resourcing, and concentrating the "attacker" segement.

The conundrum I have is that my valuation of $4.50 ($3.67-$5.04) is predicated on organic growth post-OTW. I haven't got my head around what the new business looks like in terms of trajectory and margins, and I haven't figured out how to think about acquistion/integration risks.

One choice I am considering is to bank the fantastic returns of the last 18 months, and sit on the sidelines for a bit. The investment thesis for $ABB was as a customer-centric, attacker, with a quality network and technology, and a focus on high value customers. The more it bulks up inorganically, the more stretched the thesis becomes.

I have to ask myself, am I drifting into thesis creep with judgement and analysis clouded by the returns to date?

thunderhead
2 months ago

Risk levels have certainly increased with this name given the relatively short span between two key acquisitions.

nerdag
2 months ago

Gotta say I agree with @thunderhead, @Rocket6 and @mikebrisy. If it's purely a growth by acquisition strategy, then unless it is done well, there may be a customer service hit leading to high margin customers going elsewhere.

A bit like what happened to iiNet, although in that acquisition, it was TPG, a budget ISP, acquiring iiNet.

Watching very carefully and considering taking money off the table.