Forum Topics IEL IEL Shorters pounce on CFO gap?

Pinned straw:

Last edited a month ago

It seems shorters of IDP Education (IEL) are looking for any excuse to put further downward pressure on the share price.

Today, IEL announced the appointment of Kate Koch to replace Murray Walton who is stepping down at the end of this week (31st March, 2024).

Kate comes with excellent experience and credentials, previously holding CFO roles at SEEK, RMIT, Tesco and Peason (London). Kate seems like a perfect fit for the role with her experience in the education and technology sectors.

The only issue is there is a 6 month delay between Murray Walton finishing in the role and Kate commencing with IEL (by October 2024). In the interim period the CFO responsibilities will be shared by the Finance Leadership Team, other members of the Global Leadership team and the CEO.

I don’t see this as a problem, but the shorters are having a field day using it as an excuse to drive the share price down another 4% in this mornings trade.

Short positions are now the highest on record with 12.85% of the stock now shorted (Shortman.com.au, 15/03/24).

52645443a9477778696c9dd1c72295b841a585.jpeg

For patient investors with a long time horizon (2 to 3 years), I think IEL is a tremendous buying opportunity at today’s prices. At least I am excited by the opportunity and have filled up my shopping trolley this morning. Now I just need to be patient for a few years!

Held IRL (7.9%), SM (13%)

Kate Koch to join IDP Education as Chief Financial Officer

Following an extensive global search, IDP Education Limited (ASX:IEL) is pleased to announce that Kate Koch has been appointed to the role of Chief Financial Officer.

Kate is an accomplished senior finance executive with broad international experience, including in the education and technology sectors. Kate will join IDP from SEEK Limited where she has held the role of CFO since June 2021.

Prior to SEEK, Kate was CFO at RMIT University and held senior finance leadership roles at Tesco Plc and Pearson Plc in London. Through these experiences, she developed a deep understanding of the needs of international students and educational institutions, as well as leading global teams, including large shared services functions. Kate’s extensive and well-rounded experience supports a successful transition to IDP.

Tennealle O’Shannessy said “The IDP Board is delighted to have Kate join the team. Her commitment to purpose driven organisations and her passion for developing people align fully with IDP’s values. We feel fortunate to have identified someone with Kate’s unique experience of our industry, outstanding financial and commercial skills, as well as her exposure to complex international operating environments. Her appetite for creating transformative experiences for customers using technology has shone through.”

Kate’s appointment follows Murray Walton’s decision to step down from the CFO role, effective 31 March 2024, as was previously announced in December 2023. Kate will join IDP’s Global Leadership Team and report to Tennealle O’Shannessy. Kate will commence with IDP by October 2024. In the interim period between 1 April 2024 and Kate commencing with IDP, the CFO responsibilities will be shared by the Finance Leadership Team, other members of the Global Leadership team and our CEO.

-ENDS-

@Rick My 2c, i have never held IEL (or the old IEL for that matter), but I am looking at it now given the share price. I listened to the last result call, read some of the company stuff and Mike and your detailed commentary. I must admit I was a little put back by the headwinds (much larger than I thought) with various policy changes on students and competition (which I knew had emerged). The CEO continually said (warned) short-term cyclical issues in the industry. the market hates uncertainty, i see the Canadian exposure you put in your report (thanks) and it is sizeable. that along with no guidance gives a feeling that there is possibly an air pocket of reasonable size coming. until the market gets a feel of the size of that I think there will be considerable uncertainty. IEl still trades at a premium. if it turns out that management can quantify the magnitude of the lost business then we have a solid base to work off. obviously, it depends on the size of the hole, if slight, the stock will bounce a lot (the bull case). however, i can understand the reaction of the market until we get clarity on that earnings hole (or lack of growth) that is out there.

im yet to finalise my buy price on this but i want a margin of safety on it given the above. it is getting close though

ps actually just thinking about it more. re the cfo, if there is a revenue hole, they have during c19 shown a great ability to flex the expense base down to help cover that. maybe there is a fear with the cfo transition that the execution here could falter

Rick
a month ago

I look forward to your price estimate @Solvetheriddle.

@Rick $16.50 that assumes 11% eps growth for 5 years PE 26x exit multiple and 10% reqd rate of return, thats builds a margin of safety. Holders will hope for better

Rick
a month ago

Thanks @Solvetheriddle. Sounds reasonable! I’ll keep adding down to that price.

mikebrisy
a month ago

@Rick @Solvetheriddle Ive just added 25% to my RL position at $17.28.

I probably have one more bite until I get my full position, but as we are still in a down trend, I’ll keep some powder dry.

I haven’t changed my view on valuation ($24.50) although volumes may face a head wind in the next year or two.

Longer term, however, my thesis is that $IEL will gain share in growing international markets with the lions share of growth coming from placements and service augmentation around placements. ( I’m not bullish on language testing.)

My view is that the current macro headwind provides that classic opportunity when market leaders strengthen their relative position, and emerge stronger when the winds change. Therefore, this is the time to be buying. Not when the sector is back in favour.

@mikebrisy @Rick thanks guys i appreciate people talking in real time, which all investment decisions are made, not after the race is won or lost

mikebrisy
a month ago

@Solvetheriddle ditto, I appreciate you putting your "Buy" price and assumptions out there - as I was able to challenge my own thinking just before putting in my Buy order.

Its a good acid test.

I'm more bullish than you on 5-yr NPAT growth (15%-20%), and therefore my buy price is higher to get a 15% expected return. My factor of safety is that I'd not be devasted to end up with a 10% return! A soft year or two could indeed lead to that outcome.

But I think the negative sentiment on international students could turn very quickly. Once economies start re-positioning themselves for growth, industries will be howling about skills shortages. The unis will always pull whatever they can in any event, because overseas fees drive their viability.In the US, even though employment is softening, there are still more job openings than available workers,... as Fed Governor JP puts it every month.

While it will face head winds in its established markets, $IEL is now also growing into the US. It signed 10 universities in 1H FY24 and is working on a pipeline of 100 other unis for 2H FY24 and FY25. As it signs the universities and revenue starts flowing, it will be likely to allocate more resources to that market. It will be interesting to see how the US market shapes up, and this could be a material upside over time.

College education in the US is next level in terms of costs. Last year, I stayed with a friend in Oregon whose son is studying at UC Berkeley. We were discussing fees and all the associated costs and all I can say is that when my family came back to Australia, my daughter didn't feel so hard done by as a humanities student at a global top 100 Aussie uni.

If $IEL can crack placements in the US, and sell international students related services around that, I expect it to be a very high margin business and a solid driver of growth as there are actually almost 3,000 unis in the US that offer 4-year degrees. So their initial list of 100 is scratching the surface, although no doubt carefully prioritiesd to be the most attractive for international student population.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

RhinoInvestor
a month ago

@mikebrisy @Rick @Solvetheriddle thanks for the dialogue … I’ve taken a small opening position on this one following my review of the discussion on Strawman and some digging around company materials myself. The big things that jumped out for me were that the decline in English Language Testing is more than made up for by the Student Placement services.

I was also happy to see increase in placement related cashflows as indicated by the Contract Assets

857f064699715751c6c5e210fec20b645470bd.png

The other thing that jumped out for me was the upside in student placement services … which is much higher margin than ELTS. It also looks that IEL has been investing in headcount and reach to increase their share of this market and the recent performance looks like that is working (i.e. they are growing faster than the industry yet the industry is still growing even as different countries play with visa rules etc … which I suspect will always be part of underlying macro economics impacting IDP)

41bc70b1c5306b166d06a69aa44a2382c53d58.png

0e97b2091a38843a5dc3a43375872d659bb114.png

I also appreciate the @mikebrisy ramble about the cost of US education … It puts into perspective for me that if someone can afford that (eg. Emerging Indian and Chinese upper middle class) then a small % clip of the ticket for IDP for placement services can still be a relatively significant amount (hence the high margins in that growing part of the business).

DISC: Held IRL and order in Strawman (now there is real money on the line this is more than an academic exercise and I’m going to keep digging)

Rick
a month ago

Love it @RhinoInvestor, and thanks for your contributions here also @mikebrisy and @Solvetheriddle. Please keep digging guys. IDP Education now makes up 8.4% of our IRL portfolios, so it’s in our top five positions.