Forum Topics IEL IEL Analyst Consensus

Pinned straw:

Last edited a month ago

Adding to the UBS share price target of $25.30 shared by @Jimmy today, I’ve included consensus views from 15 analysts supplied by Simply Wall Street. Share price targets have been tracked against the current share price for the last 2 years in the chart below.

c950fac6a9b8a140a0f67c6efbbb561bb1e5dc.jpeg

Source: Simply Wall Street

The first thing that strikes me about this chart is how the 12 month price target follows the share price down. It doesn’t give you a lot of confidence in the target if the share price tracks down even further.

The other concern is the low level of agreement amongst analysts on the 12 month share price target with a dispersion of 15%. The highest price target is $29.47 and the lowest is $17.00. The consensus share price target is $23.84.

If the most bearish of the 15 analysts turned out to be correct and we bought IDP Education shares today at 3 year lows of $17.18, we would be down 1% in 12 months time. If we included 40 cps in dividends (77% franked, 53 cps gross), we would be up 2% on our investment in 12 months time. That’s not a great outcome, but if that’s the down side I’d be happy to cop that.

If the upside is analyst consensus of $23.84 we could be up over 40% in 12 months time, including the dividends.

Of course all 15 analysts could turn out to be wrong, and the shorters might be correct. During the COVID 19 pandemic IDP Education fell to a low of $10.89, so it’s possible for the share price to fall even further.

However, all these opinions are based on a 12 month horizon, and I’m more interested in how IDP Education will be performing in 2 to 3 years from now.

b7114fc2cd13d80d3906488676bc49bd77920b.jpeg

950e75a9e651b60a3f820de3c4afc86c43f1ab.jpeg

Source: Simply Wall Street

RhinoInvestor
a month ago

Interesting to see that this one has some analysts representing multiple companies and some companies with multiple analysts.

Maybe another place to check is the options market … might be able to give you some view of what a bit more of the market is thinking. IV looks to be coming down which should indicate that the market getting a bit more bullish. However, relatively speaking IV is still quite high compared with some of the more traditional “blue chips” (eg. COL, ANZ, CBA, WES which are all in the high teens). Level of IV also justifies the breadth of range from the analysts as well.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/iv.asp#:~:text=Implied volatility is the market's,factors for calculating implied volatility.

If there was a degree of uncertainty, you could sell a covered call at $19.5, lock in about 10% gain now and maybe get another 10% by the end of the calendar year (or buy now, sell at the money call and take about 15% up front). Of course, with that strategy you don’t get to participate in as much upside as if the analysts consensus is closer to what actually happens and selling in < 365>

027e4c8067be6757d4de2a4d23166e2117127a.png

The other thing I’d want to check is how recent the majority of those estimates from Analysts were published … the share price has dropped quite a bit in the last month so perhaps some of those estimates are out of date. Looking at the news, only UBS and Goldman have released new estimates in the last month … they are both down but still above the analyst average.

e20e96b6f5caa9489e55ca045db4f317cd2125.png

DISC: Not held but having a look at whether there is opportunity here.

Rick
a month ago

Thanks for your reply @RhinoInvestor. The Covered Call sounds like an interesting strategy, particularly buying the stock now and selling a Call at the money for a 15% return up front. I’m probably less inclined to trade options now, as my investment strategy has moved to buying and holding great businesses for a long time. However, the Call Option strategy sounds like a winner to me and I would have gone for that once. The best of luck if you go ahead with it.

edgescape
a month ago

Looking at the chart for IDP this looks like another tax loss opportunity.

RhinoInvestor
a month ago

@Rick My original point was more about looking at the options market for some further angles of potential future price in addition to the analysts.

Like you, my core strategy is to buy and hold great businesses for a long time. I’ve got at least 8 years to retirement so with rule of 72 I reckon with 9% p.a. CAGR I can double my money by then. Any outperformance should lead to some extra buffer and maybe a few extra Latte’s in retirement.

I have tried dabbling with covered calls a little bit this year (my original aim was to see if I could generate 3% incremental return across the qualifying part my portfolio which i felt was pretty conservative). My learnings so far …

• The depth of the Australian market is not really there (at least for the ASX stocks I own that have Options available)
  • That lead me to the US portion of my portfolio which is where I really wanted to generate some sort of yield as US stocks are such poor dividend payers. Unfortunately most of my US portfolio is tech centric which has been ripping in the last 12 months so positions I thought were safely out of the money are actually getting close to being exercised. Therefore, I’ve had to repurchase the options at a loss and push the options right out to avoid unwanted CGT impacts (and not disrupt the compounding). As such, I’m only at about break even. I’m beginning to wonder if the additional effort is worth it for the limited return and will review at EOFY to see if I am getting enough return for the time being spent.

Rick
a month ago

I see what you mean @RhinoInvestor, but it sounds a bit complicated for my pay grade! :)

I can see how selling a covered call can boost your returns, but at the same time limits your compounding. I guess you can’t have it both ways. Making a profit is a good problem to have!