Forum Topics RUL RUL Thesis

Pinned straw:

Added 3 months ago

I have published RPM Global thesis at https://growthgauge.substack.com/t/asxrul

thunderhead
3 months ago

Thanks for sharing @Valueinvestor0909.

I wish I had refreshed the thesis by reading your piece a few weeks ago and bought more shares. The market seems to be warming to the story of the earnings inflection and the earnings/cost jaws opening up significantly over coming periods, or a takeout of the company by a well-heeled buyer, whichever happens earlier.

rh8178
3 months ago

Great analysis @Valueinvestor0909 - might be suffering from bias as my view is similar. Given this transition, it might just take a while for the thesis to play out (but who knows?). I'm a subscriber of your site now too! Held IRL & SM.

RobW
3 months ago

Hi Conrad

My understanding is that the subscription model carries one clear benefit over a perpetual license arrangement. I think it is fair to say that most software offerings are upgraded at regular intervals. These upgrades are generally not charged per upgrade, So you enjoy the latest advancements in technology at no cost.

This cannot easily apply in the case of a perpetual license, particularly if the Company ( or Licensor) is strategically wanting to convert it's entire customer base to Subscription.

Bringing the conversation back to RPM Global, the drive to convert customers has accelerated over the past 7 to 8 years and, for anybody who has been invested that long, will acknowledge that mission has essentially been accomplished. The tail of the perpetual license Revenue in the main relates to Country Risk. In other words, 'money up front' where future default is possible.

My current take on RPM is that on paper, we are poised for a significant re-rate, but there is not much discussion of how the Company will fare in an acceleration towards a decarbonised future. At one stage , support of Coal mining contributed about 35% of their business. Yes, they will align with green energy and renewables, but that could mean another wave of R&D spend and the associated depreciation and amortization that follows, undermining NPAT. This pattern has existed over many years and IMO, resultes in a great Company never achieving the earnings multiple it deserves. The share buy back, now extended for a second year, also serves as a brake on the share price, this again IMO. This defies normal investing logic that fewer shares on issue is great for shareholders in the long term, but this apparent value is somewhat diluted when you look at performance rights / grants each year. Rightly or wrongly, I have tagged the Company as one whick does not like to pay Tax. The Full Year FY 2024 Financials will confirm whether this is the break -out year in profitability or just another period on the pathway to the share price alignning with the much spoken of Financial potential.

In my case, what-to-do, what-to-do ? Brain in state of conflict rightnow....

RobW

conrad
3 months ago

Hi RobW, my experience has been that under a perpetual license paying the yearly maintenance and support usually includes access to patches and software upgrades. However, depending on the size and complexity of the software there will still be significant internal resource or consulting costs to deploy and test those upgrades. If the product is true SaaS then all those problems go away, and paying a subscription fee makes a lot more sense.

I’m definitely new to RPM and glad to hear conversion has been ongoing and (mostly?) accomplished. I need to DYOR to understand how their product offering developed to enable them to shift to a subscription model.

conrad
3 months ago

Great post - also liked your MP1 post.

I tend to think about software licensing from the client/customer side since that’s where my experience is. The financial benefits to the vendor and to new clients of the SaaS model are clear (as outlined in your thesis), but asking existing clients to pay a subscription for a software they already ‘own’ can be a bit on the nose.

Usually the new subscription charges are significantly higher than existing software support and maintenance arrangements, and someone will need to wear that in their budget if the decision is made to move to a subscription model.

Sometimes software companies will sell the change by re-factoring of how the service is delivered - i.e. changing from self hosted servers accessed via desktop software to cloud hosted service accessed by a browser. This is from a technical perspective a good thing for all parties, but there will always be transitioning costs to the customer to move to this model.

I find myself wondering how successful RPM has been in converting existing users to a subscription model. Also, having written this post I’m starting to realise how little I know about the specifics of RPM’s offerings!!

@conrad These are valid points about the challenges of transitioning clients to a SaaS model, Clients with existing licenses may indeed view this change skeptically, particularly if they feel they have already invested in the lifetime use of the product.

SaaS model brings with it undeniable advantages, such as enhanced convenience, improved scalability, better security, and compliance standards. Moreover, the continuous updates and support provided by a SaaS model ensure that clients always have access to the latest functionalities without the need for manual upgrades. However, there are transition costs involved, not just financially but also in terms of adapting to new ways of working, such as moving from self-hosted solutions to cloud-hosted services.

A gradual approach is more effective ( in my opinion). Existing clients are an asset, No point in rushing them into migration. Instead, by allowing the inherent value of the SaaS model to become self-evident over time – Which eventually becomes self-evident either because of the features or upgrade cycle etc. clients are more likely to initiate the transition themselves when they see the tangible benefits

I have experienced it in various segments –

For example, corporate email solutions, I've seen a shift away from in-house Exchange servers to cloud-based platforms like Office 365 or Google Workspace. This migration wasn't instantaneous but occurred as the advantages of the cloud model—lower maintenance costs, off-site data redundancy, and seamless updates—became more apparent and aligned with business needs.

And customers are slow to move puts RPM thesis even more compelling as existing customers are waiting for justification for this migration and when it happens, RPM won’t need any sales effort to win those customers – they come to RPM for migration.

conrad
3 months ago

@Valueinvestor0909 I believe we’re in complete agreement about the move to SaaS, and how for existing customers the benefits need to overcome the transaction and increased operating costs of the new solution.

The perceived maturity of the new platform also plays a role. As you’ve mentioned email, O365 (especially Teams), are perfect examples due to providing a better user experience whilst enabling a simplification of the internal IT landscape.

My post was partly inspired by a recent experience at work. We’re looking to procure extra modules to expand the functionality of one of our platforms. The sales guys were pushing really hard to sell the new modules on the subscription model, and presented their figures based on switching the whole solution to subscription. Unfortunately with no accompanying benefit (no cloud solution available), and an organisational preference for CaPex vs OpEx there really is no benefit in switching to subscription.

General thoughts only and not implying they apply to RPM.