Forum Topics PNV PNV PNV Share Price Rant

Pinned straw:

Added 3 months ago

[Warning - I woke up angry this morning]

I'm always amazed with the PNV SP volatility. Surely the PNV SP is being manipulated?

Watch this video of Jim Cramer (before he set up his own YouTube chanel), discussing how he a manipulates the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfixbq_u0Q

Why can't ASIC/ASX use their softaware to monitor for these tricks?

OR - why doesn't the Govt put a $0.50 tax on each trade. Means nothing to retail investors (who vote), and for institutions who play long it would be fine. But will stop these alogrythims trading a few shares at a time to push the SP up or down as they like.

Captial markets were created to give businesses access to money to develop their busiensses. But this whole finance industry has spawned methods of ripping money out of the market. I don't buy any of their arguements about liquidity etc. Companies like Renaissance Capital have bascially stolen money from the markets through their use of AI and data sets. What is the value to the captial markets have they provided?

Ok rant over....for now.

PS...i have been in talks with a very large law firm about doing a class action against ASIC, ASX and some of the hedge funds we think are manipulating the SP of companies on the ASX. If anyone is interested, reach out to me. But what we need is someone in a university etc. that is a finance professor or similar. If you know of someone...please reach out to me.

Dominator
3 months ago

As an exercise a few years ago I looked at the difference between 52 week highs and lows of the companies I owned to see what the difference was. The change was much higher than I expected. I just reran this on my "watchlist spreadsheet" which currently has 57 companies on the list, a mix of everything - ASX, US, other international from nano to mega cap. Here are the stats measuring the percentage gain from the 52-week low price to the 52-week high price (ie (gain = (52-week high/52 week-low) - 1):

• Average = 94%
  • Median = 58%
  • Only 14% gained less than 30% from the 52-week low.

Strong price movements in shares over a year is extremely common and I would say there to be taken advantage. If the market is giving you a good price take it or if too high sell.

Part of my thesis in Polynovo is to trade the bottoms and tops, adding/trimming as appropriate. I think Polynovo has some meme/fan stock characteristics that makes it extra volatile. Unfortunately, I was on holidays and not paying attention when it was above $2.30 which I think is definitely a trimming point so not surprised to see it drop back down under $2.

Parko5
3 months ago

Interesting @Dominator Thank you.

I have noticed that PNV seems to be recovering quicker from these SP plunges. Company is obviously in a much better position. And will only likely improve.

I think you are right. I should trade a portion of PNV (and some of my other holdings) and benefit from these large SP swings.

Do others here have this approach? Hold say 75% long and trade 25% on the swings?

Dominator
3 months ago

@Parko5 I'm moving more and more down the path of trading a percentage of a position to take advantage of the swings in the market given those numbers. I've come to a conclusion that you don't have to be all in or all out but can trim and/or add to a position over time. I like to build a position over time as well.

I add a "momentum" overlay similar to the QAV concept of 3-point trend lines if you have listened to their podcasts. If in an uptrend wait till the share price turns to the downside then trim and for a downtrend wait till there is an upswing again before buying.

Many of my mistakes have occurred when I thought the market is wrong, so I jumped in on a falling knife/contrarian position. This is a system that makes me wait for the market to give me the signal to buy/sell. In saying the above I guess it's down to your personal circumstances in a way as well, what's your opportunity cost of holding cash at times? I can put the cash on the mortgage so it's a 6ish% after tax return with no risk in terms of opportunity cost.

mikebrisy
3 months ago

Hi @Parko5 as I've written here before about $PNV, I have traded it a few times. but only when it flies up way beyond my valuation. My bias is to hold it for the long term and not pay any attention to SP volatility which isn't driven by fundamental business performance.

In 2019/2020 I was accumulating $PNV between $1.32 and $2.45, and I started offloading in late 2020/early 2021 between $2.84 and $4.01. At that time, this was significantly above my range of valuations. By mid-2021 I was all out, and didn't re-enter again until later in 2021. My current RL position has been built with purchases anywhere between $0.86 and $2.41.

I did lighten about 25% in late 2022 at $2.04, as part of becoming a little more risk averse with my portfolio overall, but then I bought those same share back in late 2023 at $1.13. That selldown was nothing to do with $PNV as a business, but buying back in at $1.13 definitely was!

Today, I would be prepared to sell $PNV but only around $3.50,...maybe I'd lighten a little before that.

That's because my current range on valuation is about $1.80 to $3.50. I know that's a really wide range, but I think it reflects the uncertainties regarding how long it sustains the growth trajectory, whether and when the platform builds out further, and the competition over time.

I don't want to risk some short term profit taking with the risk that the next day DW comes out with a record month, a storng trading update, a big deal in India, or a FY profit that beats expectations and that the SP jumps out of reach.

$PNV has been a great trading stock because it has sustained high revenue growth, while also spending a long time around the profitability inflection point. So, from a financial perspective, it is a low quality stock and we should expect it to be volatile.

Everyone has to decide their own approach, and this is mine. But it does mean I have a RL postion of about 8% for which I have only invested about 3% of my capital.

Solvetheriddle
3 months ago

@Parko5 i can tell you the biggest fans of the algo traders will be the brokers and the ASX, increased volumes.mean extra fees, they will not stop them, they will encourage them. remember they let them set up the fast wires.

RhinoInvestor
3 months ago

Why the rant?

Volume looks about normal ...

Share price down about 8.5% in the last week ... not exceptional volatility for this end of the market. ASX small ords also down nearly 3% on the last week (I know I have about 10 other small caps in my portfolios that are also down about the same or more).

Looks like its moving into buying opportunity range.

Lesson for me is to buy (& sell) in relatively small batches with Limit orders on these stocks which have relatively low liquidity.

DISC: Held IRL and SM (thanks for drawing it to my attention on Monday morning ... might look to top up during the week).

Parko5
3 months ago

I know it creates buying opportunities etc. but philosophically I don’t like these manipulators making money from these markets.

it has been happening since markets were invented. I remember reading about Jesse Livermore around. The turn of the century in 1900s. And all his tricks to test he market or push it in a certain direction.

but with the technology we have, and laws we have today, we could stop this. And make sure that capital is going where it is intended.

btw. I’m not against shorting. Only manipulation.

conrad
3 months ago

What an interesting video.

I always thought Cramer was kinda a knob…now I know he’s a psycho.