Forum Topics IEL IEL Aus Government Draft Framework

Pinned straw:

Last edited 2 months ago

Essential reading for IDP investors.

https://www.education.gov.au/international-education/resources/draft-international-education-and-skills-strategic-framework-pub

I’ve so far only seen the headlines in the press over the weekend and am guessing that there is going to be a lot of politicking on this one ahead of the budget. I’m guessing it will put negative pressure on the IEL share price when market opens today.

The general sense seems to be that University visas numbers will be reduced in line with an overall effort to curb the post-pandemic level of immigration.

DISC: Held in SM and IRL (and looking to top up further if the shorting bears latch onto this).

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

@mikebrisy @Rick @RhinoInvestor

gents, interested in your views on the budget re the student housing proposal. at first, i thought it would be positive to give some framework around the path forward. then i thought that putting the onus on universities to arrange building accommodation would slow the intake process, or potentially worse. the is a student housing industry which were, understandably quite excited, appear to be keen to build. the devil will be in the details I suspect. does it put too much of a squeeze on the foreign student business case would be the bear thesis. rationally the government would want to kill the golden goose, but Labor has a history of fumbling policy. too soon to judge?

i note citi/GS which look like prime brokers are increasing holdings so the shorters are still keen on this one.

i did also note Airlie is keen on the long story, of my old competitors i would take some notice of what they think.

all the best

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@Solvetheriddle First, everything has to be seen in the context that the government is resolute on undoing the student 2022-23 spike, which was unsustainable. To my mind that doesn't impact the medium or long term investment thesis in the sector. As we discussed yesterday, even backing out the spike leaves the industry on a long-term growth trend.It serves the goverment politically because all the noise about a "cap" will go down well broadly with the electorate.

So far, the universities are out to lunch, pushing arguments like "you can't blame the housing shortage on students" - it must be on their speaking points because three people interviewed yesterday including a sector spokesperson and a DVC of one of the Go8 unis said almost the same words! But they are not dumb. (You'd hope not.)

The calculation is what is the value of [the incremental international fees (or their gross margin) above any cap x "n" years] - cost per room + government contribution?

In terms of payback, how long is it before there is a net contribution to University Reserves (for funding research etc.)? Value per bed - in terms of investment - varies hugely with location. (I've seen numbers as low as $100k+ and as high as $400k)

There will be a negotiation, because many of the the universities have land and the government has committed major funding and 1.2 milliion homes to the housing crisis.

I reckon there will be a deal (or many deals) done whereby the Unis. get government assistance to help build more accommodation. The Government will probably count it in their "accommodation built" statistics, and the unis will see the caps raised.

In any event, the government will grow the caps annually by c. 5% (I'm guessing annually) - because they want to grow the economy. That's a world away from the 59% bump we saw in 2022-23 over 2019-20. ... 59%! Don't think that's in anyones thesis for $IEL.

So, I think this is a good thing. If the policy is executed, and if the Government and Unis negotiate - which they will, it will help make the tertiary sector more attractive to domestic and foreign students.

The government will also be able to skew their accommodation support for rural and regional colleges, and also for those offering programs aligned with the national priorities.

Why I think it will really work, is that the government has promised big numbers for housing that will never be delivered. Universities have resources...land, contract management teams, relationships with councils to get things done. They could end up be great "home builders".

I am jumping well ahead of things and I am sure it will move slowly, but there is a chance this could be very good.

I might be wrong, but just glancing at $IEL share price this morning, its +10% at time of writing. So maybe I'm not.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

Another way of thinking about it, because student accommodation will be debt financed on favounrable terms, and much of it will be built by the industry, is that the incremental international fee margin per bed can be considered a yield on an investment in the housing.

So its probably quite a complex equation, and way beyond my circle of competence:

Inflows:

• International fees above the cap
  • Student rent (portion of, as the industry will be involved)
  • Govt contribution (of some kind, probably via States)
  • Debt

Outflows

• Capex to build (including land and development costs, which unis. can pull levers on)
  • Opex
  • Interest

The other point is that many unis have construction in progress on accommodation. To the extent they can get their acts together, then contractor teams can be smoothly rolled on from one development to anothere, which can release a lot of efficiencies.

The above structure is simplistic, because it doesn't reflect how the industry players will feature. Anyway, I think there are enough levers to pull there that the Uni development teams will be able to make this work.

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

@mikebrisy thanks Mike, lots of good reasoning, i did think the land banks would skew to unis that favour IEL. important that the unis have existing experience in the build as well.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@Solvetheriddle - good point.

I have some inside knowledge of a Go8. The business operations are almost like running a small city council. They have pretty serious capabilities in facility management, contractor management, and capital works delivery - including project development. As well as student accommodation, they are also involved in developing and maintaining the teaching and research facilities, which include some pretty impressive buildings (including some highly over-engineered vanity pieces). I'm convinced there are some smart brains working out how to turn "victim into champion", and the executive teams will be fully engaged on this. International income is high stakes for the Unis.

RhinoInvestor
2 months ago

Certainly some crazy early share price action today.

672eb9e66309edd821961b7ab31b101bb3adaf.png

@mikebrisy or others, do you know whether accomodation is included in the commissions that IDP earns on student placements. I can see from the latest annual report that they average AUD$4459 per placement. Presumably if the total amount spent by the student with the institution increases (i.e. using University owned accomodation rather than some grubby student share house) then it stands to reason that this would have a positive impact on the fees earnt over time if the university has extra accomodation to include in the package.

This morning’s bump seems to be attributed to the review of the UK graduate route leaving terms unchanged is the culprit. In summary, this means that students can stay and work in the UK for up to two years after completing their degree.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6641e1fbbd01f5ed32793992/MAC+Rapid+Review+of+Graduate+Route.pdf

For me, lots of further evidence that while there are political things going on in most jurisdictions, as a long term hold most of these short term fluctuations should fall by the wayside.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@RhinoInvestor Helping international students is one of the offerings for student placements, although I am not sure how the model varies by markets.

They have partnerships with student accommodation providers and also facilitate homestay placements.

No doubt, this is not a charitable service, but to be honest, I don't know what the revenue model is.

But in short - yes it is part of the revenue.

https://www.idp.com/global/student-essentials/accommodations/

If you consider $350/week as a reasonable average, then for a 40 week program the rent would be $14,000.

So even clipping the ticket at 0.5%-1%-1.5% would be a range of $700-$1400-$2100 towards the placement fee. So it might be a decent chunck.

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

@RhinoInvestor @mikebrisy Thanks guys, the above government paper looks positive LT but there could be a few bumps ST. Controlling growth, cleaning up shoddy operators/practices etc. To me, the government rhetoric appears to be very supportive of the existence and success of the industry. Recent numbers appear to have gone a bit over the top, as Mike's numbers show, and poor practices are in evidence. it is hard to believe that IEL will not only be a survivor but probably stronger in time. The ST risks I see to IEL are they currently over-earnings either due to the industry growing too strongly or they are engaged in unsustainable practices (hopefully unlikely). both imply over earning and the graph below may indicate some over earning. industry over-earnings are likely to be forgiven much more easily than any dodgy practices. A reversal, to some extent, back to the trend growth would not surprise and is what the market may be waiting for. C19 blurs the picture a bit and I have been playing around with segmentals trying to get a better bead on this but is difficult given the C19 event.

still of view its an opportunity--held

4bf9f12b56bd48ffb3cd4def4345f6986b0fc3.png

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@Solvetheriddle I agree with your assessment. Overall, I think the market has gotten used to reading through pandemic distortions. The bits above and below trend even each other out.

Looking at the brokers views for FY24, 25 and 26, they still have a rosey outlook. I've added the consensus for FY24, and put dots for low and high broker views, and also added the consensus views for FY25 and FY26.

19ec843bc33b6d035f3923d5845cd99fa9b15c.png

The brokers have been in a downgrade cycle for over a year. Even so, a healthy gap has opened up to the market view with broker consensus now +34% on valuation to the market.

In late 2021 and early 2022 the market couldn't see through to the post-pandemic recovery - but the brokers did.

My reading of the situation is that we could see a positive surprise in FY24, but that the chickens come home to roost in FY25 as well see a full year effect of government measures in Australia and Canada.

In GS's latest note, they've come in at a FC EPS for FY24 of $0.63 (down from $0.65) and in FY25 of $0.67 (down from $0.72) and in FY26 $0.77 (down from $0.85).

I'm citing them because, like me, there see this all washing through over two years, and they've called FY25 as "Expect peak industry headwinds".

Overall, I think this is another case of the market over-reacting to bad news.

It will be fascinating to see how this plays out. (genuinely curious to see how these posts age, even if its more than an academic curiosity!)

47cfc6b80480025fad2001b6d8c475507601bd.png

mikebrisy
2 months ago

Here's a couple of charts to quantify things. You can see the Government slow down starting to bite from Nov-2023. This slow down into this year, is what the market has already been dirgesting over the last few months (via the $IEL SP).

There is a lag effect between the Visa Grant date (Figure 2) and the Arrival date (Fig 1).

Figure 1: Student Visa Arrivals

d96d606d0e362989f458df4b718a184eadcea1.png

Figure 2

117c68a9045bd29f59e3c0b1ae592c44b24929.png

Importantly, you can see just how huge 2022-23 was by comparion to 2019-20.

The distortion of 2022-2023 or CY2023 (depending on how you cut the numbers) is really impacting the narrative. If your baseline is a standout, crazy year with pent up demand from lockdowns etc., you can write some scarey headlines. But if you go back to a baseline of 2019-2020, I expect the government will be re-assuring the sector that they are committed to sustainable growth. Education is the biggest export sector in NSW and Vic, after all.

Now the government is being smart and taking the opportunity to do a few things:

• Increasing English language requirements (as a part time tertiary educator ... I believe this is a good thing)
  • Proposing profiles for each institution, according to the value of their programs as well as their ability to invest in student housing (complex, not sure how manageable this will be, smacks of BIG Government)
  • Encouraging placements in regional centres
  • Reducing work hours, to clamp down on people using study as a pretence to come and work here
  • Increasing savings requirements, to reduce the numbers of student likely to work illegally to support themselves (will reduce accessibiltiy for many)
  • Increasing Visa fees

Having scanned the consultaiton paper briefly this morning, there is a lot in it that makes sense.

Importantly, it arguably makes the application process more risky and complex. While this will frighten a proportion of prospective students off to other markets, it will potentially increase the value to student of $IEL's placement services. It will make the cost of the placement services proportionately a lower share of the student's wallet. It may even create opportunities for $IEL to enhance its services, and adapt them to the tougher entry requirement. Not only might this create opportunities to increase average revenue per customer, it could allow $IEL to continue to differentiate itself from competitors and accelerate taking market share.

In summary, I think this is a classic case where first order thinking can make you see doom and gloom. But the more I read and learn, the more I see opportunity here for $IEL.

In any event, the industry isn't going to roll over and take this lying down. And the government won't want to hurt this sector.

Politically, I think there will be a win-win-win.

Win 1: The current "go slow" on visa grants is going to reduce the headline number. So, come election time, the government will be able to say "we reduced student immigration by x%" simply by pitching their narrative against the crazy baseline of the 2022-23 blowout.

Win 2: The enhanced controls, which the industry will tey to fine tune, will reduce the number of fake students, and shape the intake towards serving the national interest (in theory).

Win 3 (($IEL's win): the more complex and challening environment, will create increased opportunities for $IEL to develop its services and capabilities and drive revenue per student, and importantly, allow it to accelerate taking market share.

There's nothing I'm reading that gives me conern here.

Disc: Held in RL and SM

RhinoInvestor
2 months ago

@mikebrisy I'm in the same boat as you. When I read the paper, a lot of the things that the government was proposing make a lot of sense to me. Improving the quality of students and clamping down on these little fly by night colleges that aren't really providing value to the students beyond getting into Australia to pick up a Deliveroo bike and aligning the things that the students are studing to the skills we need in Australia all make sense. For many of these students this is a route to permanent residence and citizenship so we want them to learn a bunch of skills that can further the national agenda.

I agree with you ... the likes of IEL and their placement services will have a key role to play in helping implement the policy. Might lose a bit of lower margin english language testing but this should certainly drive the need for the higher margin and revenue placement services (which is the basis of my thesis for the investment). I think the same situation will apply to IEL's placement services in other jurisdictions that are also clamping down (eg. Canada and UK) and I'm hoping that IEL can grow their US business ... the students want to go somewhere and presumably working through the process under a Trump 2.0 administration will really require the skills of placement services companies like IEL.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

Yes, interesting developments. No doubt more negative pressure on SP - although a lot is baked in already.

That said, some control was needed. The Australian reported at the weekend that Uni Sydney has issued 15,000 places to international students this year, compared with 8,000 last year. Those numbers aren’t sustainable. They also very significantly exceed the long term growth trend for the sector on which an investment thesis for $IDP relies.

Looks like as part of this the government is putting pressure on Unis to build more student housing, including for domestic students. That’s a good thing.

But it is also political, with the goverment want to be seen to do something on housing, ahead of the election.

The go-slow on visa approvals has already started to bite (since second half last year). You can see it clearly in the goverment stats.

Over the medium term, this will all normalise. Education is a comparative advantage for Australia and a big contributor to the economy.

I have one more tranche yet to put on $IDP. But I am going to hold off until this has clearly bottomed. Which clearly it hasn’t.