Forum Topics BBN BBN Bottom of the cycle?

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

Baby Bunting released a market update last week and it was ugly to say the least.

895e48c46dcf62f8d9db72c45e0f2852a2fd8a.png

This was likely due to rising household costs forcing new parents to minimise spending on new items for their newborns and children.

Guidance of FY24 was revised down to $2-4m (compared to $9m in FY23 and almost $20m in FY22).

This may be just based on my own anecdotal evidence as myself my wife are expecting our first child in the near future, but Baby Bunting is still our preferred go to place for all our needs for our coming newborn. Their 5% price beat policy means that even though we have shopped around for the best price, we still end up going there to purchase.

Further to this (and this may be just because we are getting to that age), we know of a lot of our friends who are also expecting. Perhaps it is due to the Chinese Zodiac being a dragon year which is amongst the most sought after zodiac signs for your child to be. This may not flow through in the numbers until the 2H.

I think BBN represents an interesting business to look into given its share price decline given its market dominance in the baby category and perhaps the next results could be the bottom of their cycle.

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts?

Disc: Not held but watching...

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

@BoredSaint i couldnt work out why BBN GMs are half of LOV and NCK (both held) and around BRG (also held) which makes stuff. given its apparent dominant market position why? BBN -not held

BoredSaint
2 months ago

@Solvetheriddle

I don't think its a fair comparison to compare BBN to LOV and NCK. Both LOV and NCK design and manufacture their own products. Whereas BBN is more a reseller of products. I think a better comparison would be JB Hifi which has GM of around 22%.

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

i guess that speaks to quality then, imo, i guessed some type of supplier licensing fee, tougher business if no control

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@Solvetheriddle I think the clue might be in the assumption in your question. I don't believe that $BBN has a dominant market position. My belief is that the market is fragmented and very competitive, and that its margins fully reflect this.

My earlier post was probably misleading when I referred to it as a "category killer" - I think that is what it aspires to be, but it is some way from getting to the level we see in Bunnings, Rebel Sports or even BCF. My ballpark estimate is that its aggregate market share in the categories in which participates is probably of the order of 10-15%, but it may be less.

Now that might be enough for it to command reasonable margins, however, many of its high value products have a lot of brand value, with multiple paths to market. So that means the retailer its probably unable to have as much control over margins as the brand owner.

Contrast this with Nick Scali. It designs its furniture and sources them direct from the factories in Asia, and has sufficient scale to be able to put together a reasonably well-optimised supply chain. The opportunities to extract margin are mutliple, and it owns the entire brand value.

I haven't done analysis to back this up (as I am not focused on the baby segment), but my side kick Claude generated the following list of retailers where I ca buy a stroller.

Some of these are online and some have large branch networks. I stop getting the list generated after prompts generating 3 x 15 responses.

(But good news! I found that at The Amazing Baby Company, you can get a Geo Mono Uptown Blue Stroller Bundle marked down from $1,699 to $999!)

Baby Bunting

Baby Village

Baby Habitat

Big W

Target

Kmart

Amazon

Kogan

Myer

David Jones

Toys "R" Us

Bubs Baby Shops

Baby Kingdom

Baby Bounce

Pram City

Babylove

Pregnancy Babies & Children's Expo (PBC Expo)

Baby Jogger

Phil & Teds

Baby Mode

Baby Gallery

Baby Needs

Baby Train

Snug as a Bug

The Baby Factory

Baby Barn

Baby Oops

Bambini Strollers

Little Bambinos

Babycity

Baby Wheels

Pramworld

Baby Carriage Company

Baby Matters

Baby Love

Baby Road

Baby Solutions

Baby Toddler City

Baby Zone

Bubba Buggy

Bubs Baby Shop

Cuddly Prams

Kiddy Palace

Little Babes

Mini Monarchs

Pram Depot

Pram Emporium

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

@mikebrisy crikeys, says it all . btw listened to the Auscap guy webcast who waxed lyrical about NCk, and told a story that AS negotiates personally with the leather and other goods suppliers that supply his makers. belting them on quality and price and getting a lower price and better quality product for his troubles. not many managers get into the weeds to that extent. of course Auscap is super bullish UK!

mikebrisy
2 months ago

Gotta love owner-managers. I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the table negotiating with AS!

He's clearly spending his time where it matters - let the designers do their magic, then drive down the cost and drive up the quality,...and the supply chain and network does the rest.

raymon68
2 months ago

BBN lots of Competition in the market. Has been growing the Revenue.. But near future the Revenue is expected to drop off also..

Net Profit Margin is very weak 2023 at 2.8% and sliding @mikebrisy shows the online Competition List nicely

7ad6be035f6569f0edb3aad79144a830c1f1e9.png

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@BoredSaint I tend to agree with your assessment.

It is too simple to label categories as "discretionary" and "non-discretionary". When $BBN was a fundies favourite pre-COVID and through the pandemic Bull market, there was a rationale by many saying the the spend was non-discretionary, with Baby Boomer Grandparents' deep pockets being recession-proof.

However, as you make clear, there is a huge range of price points within each element of the product range.

My wife and I waited until we were relatively well-off before starting our family 20 years ago. I clearly remember getting all the nursery stuff, gagets and buggies and observing how price insensitive we were. (I insisted on a McLaren stroller, as well as an all terrain convertible pram, because I lost the battle on owning a grown-up one!)

Had we started 10 years earlier, we would have got the same items, but probably paid 50%-70% less. Of course, that's the business model for category killers - maximise the addressible market in the category. But it does mean that when "discretionary spend" takes a hit because customers are paying 2x or 3x on mortgage repayments or 50% more on rent, then there is ample scope for a big part of the mid-market to trade down, while still meeting their non-discretionary needs.

For example, consider the humble stroller:

• $114 Babyzen Yoyo
  • $669.99 Bubaboo Butterfly (But coz times are tough, don't pay $829.00, save $159.01)
  • Also ... no McLaren (but you can get one at Big W for $700)

They are all just strollers.

In that context, the $BBN result isn't too bad (I've not looked at any detail beyond your post).

As a retailer, its pretty low quality, with %NM historically only in the 2-4% range. Which means the negative operating leverage is deadly, particularly given its debt. But of course, provided it makes it through the trough, the upside could be spectacular. So for me, its not one to be early for in timing!

I generally like category leaders and category killers - so, I think its probably a good time to start catching up on $BBN straws, posts, and valuations.

Disc: Not held.

My retail holdings remain: $LOV, $NCK and $BRG (not strictly retail, but discretionary retail exposed).