Forum Topics HSN HSN Position Take Stock

Pinned straw:

Added a month ago

Finally got round to reviewing the position with HSN and determining what action to take.

Discl: Held IRL and in SM

1HFY24 Summary

• Robust 1HFY24 results with growth in revenue, underlying EBITDA margin, strong cash generation, debt repayment and returning of cash to shareholders, underpinned by stable and predictable revenue, very low customer churn
  • Net cash positive for the first time since 2017, $8m, pre-powercloud acquisition where cash reserves of ~$45.1m exceed debt of $36.9m

powercloud Acquisition Feb 2024

Market has been spooked by the powercloud acquisition in Feb 2024

The strategic rationale for the acquisition makes sense (1) buying a robust, modern and entrenched suite of complementary billing software (2) opens access to the broader DACH region markets (3) at a stage in powercloud’s maturity that will benefit from the more robust Hansen discipline and processes to become more efficient and hence more profitable

Downside: 

• Requires ~$20m more investment over and above the upfront acquisition price of EUR30m
  • Will adversely dilute short term FY24 underlying EBITDA by ~$7-8m, bringing FY24 underlying EBITDA margin to +26% from the normal pre-acquisition underlying EBITDA margin of ~+30%

HSN has a strong proven record of successfully integrating acquisitions into the broader HSN business - this acquisition should be no different. Must however, sit through the risk of margin dilution in the next 12-18M before powercloud can be fully earnings accretive.

Current Position and Action

454a6b5485e8cfc16f861016c991f946cd0ed7.png

• Price has been drifting towards a ~3-years old well-supported zone between ~$4.21 and ~$4.42
  • this zone was a strong resistance zone for a good 18M prior to mid-Mar 2021 when the resistance was penetrated
  • Since Mar 2021, this has been a strong support zone, successfully defended in Oct 2023, then April 2023
  • If price falls into, or in the vicinity of the top up zone, increase position from current ~1.8% to 2.5%
thunderhead
a month ago

Thank you for the update @jcmleng. I am a long time watcher, having never held the stock though it has many desirable attributes.

Fundamentally, I still find the price somewhat on the higher side relative to the modest growth outlook for a business like this.

Just curious - you have identified a well-defined zone of support/resistance on the chart going back a few years. What if you accumulate as planned, and the price then falls through that level clearly? Do you take any action (technically inclined traders/investors would either be stopped out or exit their position manually if it falls below a well-defined risk level on the chart), or do you just ride it out base on fundamentals, even if you didn't buy at the ideal point (maybe even add more at a lower price of course if you have room). This is something I constantly battle with, and don't have a good answer for, though I err on the side of doing nothing i.e. buying and holding.

jcmleng
a month ago

@thunderhead , I held HSN some years back as part of MF Pro, sold out and have got back in after it pulled back from the ~$6.60 high 2 years back. My intent then, which still remains, is to use HSN as a bit of a dividend + moderate growth ballast to the rest of my more growth-centric portfolio.

My approach is always to establish that I want to open or close a position in a company based purely on fundamentals. I then use the chart to assess the historical price action, the 52 week highs and 52 week lows and the Fib retracments thus far. If these look "reasonable" vs fundamentals, I tend to jump in and open a small starter position immediately at the prevailing price - this is my ensuring that I actually act rather than continue looking for the "ideal" entry price which has anchored me badly.

I then use the charts to work out when to top up, which is usually 0.25% to 0.5% at a go - am thus not wedded to the chart levels at all and will continue to accumulate if support levels are breached, but with a lot more caution ..... But the allocation is my "hard stop" - once I hit my allocation, I stop and ride out the cycle.

With HSN, will top up 0.25% if it goes into the zone. The next level after the zone looks to be around ~$3.75, so will take the next 0.25% then, if it gets to that point, then I'm maxed out!

thunderhead
a month ago

This makes a lot of sense, thank you. I am not as rigorous or disciplined, but in broad strokes, am philosophically aligned with what you typically do.

jcmleng
a month ago

@thunderhead , not sure if I am as rigorous or as disciplined as you make it out to be, IRL! Ended up pulling the trigger for 0.25% at 4.35 today as there seems to be quite a few buyers at these levels for much of the day.