Forum Topics RMD RMD Risks

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

From Seeking Alpha. RMD shares lost 3.50% on Friday in the US, and were down another 5% in the after hours.

Respiratory device makers ResMed (NYSE:RMD), and Philips (NYSE:PHG) traded lower on Friday after Eli Lilly (NYSE:LLY) said an FDA decision on a potential label expansion for its weight loss therapy tirzepatide against obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is expected later this year.

The announcement hurt the shares of ResMed (RMD) and Philips (PHG), which dominate the market for CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machines, an FDA-approved solution for OSA.

Shares of Inspire Medical Systems (INSP), which offers a minimally invasive solution designed to treat the condition, also came under pressure.

LLY’s announcement coincided with detailed results from its Phase 3 SURMOUNT-OSA program, in which tirzepatide, a dual GIP and GLP-1 receptor agonist, reached its main goals with or without PAP therapy.

The Indiana-based drugmaker said it has already submitted regulatory filings with the FDA, seeking a label expansion for the once-weekly injectable for moderate-to-severe OSA and obesity.

However, Axsome Therapeutics (AXSM), which markets a therapeutic option for OSA in the form of its sleep disorder therapy Sunosi, traded higher.

Similarly, in April, ResMed (RMD) and Philips (PHG) shares declined after LLY announced topline data from SURMOUNT-OSA, noting that two trials comprising the program reached their main goals.

thunderhead
2 months ago

Nice move today, though ideally the volume profile would have been stronger.

It seems to have found some support near its 200DMA, stabilised yesterday, and had a good move up today.

Scoonie
2 months ago

Agree @Solvetheriddle

In the battle between Eli Lilly and Resmed or more broadly GLP-1 drugs versus CPAP it is still very early days.

Eli Lilly (LLY) has a market cap of US$480b and Novo Nordisk (NVO) $US480b.   The Aussie champ, Resmed has a market cap of $US30b.  

The major reported drug side effects of nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation and bouts of stomach pain and the need to address food intake will no doubt be a focus for the drug developers.  LLY and NVO (and others) are not going to give up and they will continue to develop, market and make cheaper the GLP-1 class of drugs.  

Give it five years and it is likely many of the side effect drug issues will be either overcome or at least ameliorated.  The market opportunity is just too big.

Like England there will always be a Resmed.  It just won’t be what it used to be. 

Tom73
2 months ago

Upgrade to BUY - Intelligent Investor (25/6/24)

I subscribe to Intelligent Investor and Graham Witcomb has upgraded RMD to a buy below $30. I recommend the service in general but for those who don’t have it the key to the rec is:

·        Impact of weight loss drugs is likely to be marginal (10-20% user reduction) due to level of efficacy, side effects and drop off rates.

·        Any impact is partly offset by use of CPAC as a combination therapy.

·        Only about 10-15% of sleep apnea sufferers receive treatment currently.

·        Hence the market growth opportunity is significantly greater than the loss of market share risk to drugs, and the market is growing.

·        RMD has proven ability to dominate the market, with a strong brand and is expected to be able to compete strongly against other CPAC providers and drug alternatives.

This was my thinking – but they provided much better analysis to make the point.

We are many years away from a potential threat providing any material impact to RMD, and it’s a fight that RMD is well placed for. Even comparing market cap’s to the drug companies, RMD is focused in this space, the drug companies have very wide portfolios over which their power (market cap) is applied to.

For those who have sold, well done on sticking to your conviction – there is a credible threat that warrants a thesis review and only time will tell how it actually plays out.

Disc: I own RL

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

A US broker view--ive bolded the main point imo

To:

Solve the riddle

Wed, 26 June at 3:39 am

ResMed cut at Oppenheimer after Eli Lilly’s tirzepatide sleep apnea data

01:37 PM | Eli Lilly and Company (LLY) | By: Dulan Lokuwithana, SA News Editor

Oppenheimer downgraded respiratory device maker ResMed (NYSE:RMD) to Perform from Outperform on Tuesday, citing an “air pocket” for the stock in the wake of encouraging data for Eli Lilly’s (NYSE:LLY) weight loss therapy tirzepatide in obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).

The maker of CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machines continued to fall for the third straight session on Tuesday after LLY announced detailed results from its Phase 3 SURMOUNT-OSA program in which the GLP-1 receptor agonist reached the main goals with or without PAP therapy.

“This GLP-1 data, in our view, will necessitate a structural shift in patient preferences, referral patterns, and ultimately choice of therapy,” Oppenheimer analyst Suraj Kalia wrote, with a particular emphasis on tirzepatide’s effects on disease resolution.

“Disease remission outcomes in SURMOUNT-OSA have overshadowed mean AHI reductions, which were strong in their own right,” Kalia said, referring to SURMOUNT-OSA’s main goal, measured using the clinical measure called apnea-hypopnea index (AHI).

However, the analyst ruled out near-term effects and argued that it will take until at least H2 2025 for true impacts to materialize, as tirzepatide is still not indicated for OSA.

With the data readout, LLY said Friday it has already submitted regulatory filings with the FDA, seeking a label expansion for the once-weekly injectable, and a decision is expected as early as later this year.  

McLovin
2 months ago

Not sure if anyone here also have an II subscription, but I found there recent write up quite interesting on this study as well:

"Here's what we found interesting: those on the combination therapy — terzepatide plus CPAP — performed better on every measure than the group using terzepatide alone. This suggests that combining therapies might be the best approach to tackling moderate-to-severe sleep apnea.

While 43% of participants on terzepatide alone reached 'disease resolution' that number was 52% for those using CPAP, too. Put another way, 57% of participants taking terzepatide alone would still require an alternative intervention."

I have a few friends on Ozempic or similar, however the side effects have been so horrific that they regret starting the drugs in the first place. I could see realistically these weight loss drugs eating into ResMed's revenue by perhaps 20%, but I don't think that's a strong enough reason for me to jump ship just yet. I'll be continuing to hold my full position here.

Arizona
2 months ago

@McLovin Yeah it feels like deja Vu all over again.

I feel like this is where it got to with the Ozempic scenario.

RMD management ended up making the suggestion that people hitting up their Dr for weight loss drugs would draw in folks that haven't been diagnosed yet.

Therefore creating new customers that that may have never known they had sleep apnea.

Ie: A bigger pool of customers. Minimal dent in the bottom line.

I guess the facts don't matter so much as the sentiment when it comes to share price. At least for a while, until some sales numbers come out.

Yes the side effects sound awful.

I hold RMD and will keep an eye on the situation for the moment.

McLovin
2 months ago

@Arizona I think you have basically just read my mind. I think every time there is a successful Ozempic (or similar) clinical trial, the ResMed share price will take a beating. But the market can only pound it for so long. Once these weight loss drugs mature, and they become the status quo, I have a sneaky feeling we will look back on this period and say "Oh, the world hasn't changed much". Perhaps I'm a little too cynical in thinking that a weight loss drug is going to cure obesity. You might find my crying in a corner in a few years :-)