Forum Topics ALC ALC Potential new UK govt

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

Getting ahead of myself, but if the UK change government that could have implications to the NHS.

So i'm now watching:

1. If any positive changes to NHS or NHS related funding
  2. If Alcidion is positioned to ride any tailwind.

Bushmanpat
2 months ago

@Seasoning I've had similar thoughts. But I'm not sure which party would do it better, from an ALC holders perspective. A brief perusal of the BBC website to compare policies has Labour promising more boots on the ground and more training with a mention of modernising hospital equipment, whereas the Tories are promising to invest 3.4B pounds in new technologies to increase NHS productivity, such as AI (gotta get that in!) to cut paperwork for doctors and nurses.

But I know bugger all about UK politics so remember the grain of salt!

RhinoInvestor
2 months ago

From what I understand it’s expected to be a pretty clear win for Labour. Not sure if either party has favours that would be more or less favourable for ALC. Biggest challenge from the chart below looks like no one will govern outright so might need to be some sort of messy coalition. I guess having a “result” might be the best thing to allow orders to flow for ALC or put us all out of our misery. I’m guessing that similar to Australia, most major new projects go into a big pile ahead of an election and not much gets done.

d328a987a76197a2b4c3cac3747aa074dd6dff.png

UlladullaDave
2 months ago

I don't think ALC is a great business so take that bias as my starting point...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last new NHS trust they signed up was East Lancashire in March 2021 – over three years ago. The contract renewals have shown a real lack of pricing power given the inflationary cost pressure in the UK. With the NHS groaning under its own weight and the urgent need for productivity (and patient care) improvements it feels like IT procurement within the NHS will be more like "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" than "let's take a punt on this small software company from Australia".

I don't think the election matters at all to ALC's fortunes, or, I guess, more to the point it doesn't change them. The fact pattern is what it is, for whatever reason, ALC just can't win contracts in the UK.

edgescape
2 months ago

The wheels of progress turn slow in UK politics just as they do at the NHS.

I think they should bring back the well-dressed Michael Portillo who wasn't able to get the shadow leadership to contest labour during the Blair years

54ead55d54dd885ef8c722f38012edc3f88809.png

He's definitely got a very colourful dress sense. Being a big fan of his shows, Can't believe that he was unable to win the appeal of the UK populace during that time and only after TV appearances did people start liking him. It's funny how the odd joke about his loss pops up in a few guest interviews for his documentaries now and again.

Sorry for the off-topic post but since the UK politics is in such parlous state I couldn't resist.

Seasoning
2 months ago

I think for me watching it is partly confirmation to remind myself not to go near them if they can't make the ideal conditions for themselves work in their favour.