Forum Topics RMS RMS M&A March 2024

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

07-March-2024: Ramelius in 'trading halt' to respond to takeover speculation (miningnews.net)

1c307cbcc46f4f0c093201da4011736cddf107.png

RMS ASX: Ramelius Resources in exclusive due diligence to acquire Karora Resources (afr.com) [Sarah Thompson, Kanika Sood and Emma Rapaport, Mar 7, 2024 – 12.26pm]

Street Talk

Ramelius in exclusive due diligence to buy Karora

Ramelius Resources is in exclusive due diligence to acquire Toronto-listed WA gold miner Karora Resources, which it hopes will add a new production centre to replace its ageing Edna May asset.

Street Talk can reveal Ramelius boss Mark Zeptner will spend $700 million to $1 billion for the acquisition. Karora will bring new production hubs with mills, and could help the company consolidate its position in the region. A Ramelius spokesperson declined to comment.

551a229c1da3b0b7b270d169489e238cd7b716.png

Ramelius Resources chief executive Mark Zeptner. Billy-Ray Stokes

Karora’s portfolio, located 60 kilometres from Kalgoorlie, includes 100 per cent ownership of the Beta Hunt mine, Higginsville gold operations and Spargos gold mine. It is expected to produce 170,000 to 195,000 ounces gold in 2024. By contrast, Ramelius has told shareholders it would hit 272,500 ounces production this financial year.

Zeptner and his team are chasing the acquisition after a period of solid performance and perky gold prices. Ramelius shares have risen nearly 48% in the past year, giving it a $1.8 billion market capitalisation and a strong balance sheet.

In particular, it has benefited from high-grade Penny ore being fed into the Mt Magnet Mill. Cash and gold reserves are expected to hit $400 million by year-end, while about $100 million in undrawn debt would further boost its liquidity profile.

Ramelius reported a 14% increase in revenue to $348.5 million at its half-year results on February 20. EBITDA shot up 39% to $140.2 million, thanks to a 12% jump in realised gold price.

New production centre

Ramelius’ biggest asset is the Mt Magnet production centre, which it started building via a $40 million acquisition in 2010. Now, 14 years on, Mt Magnet speaks for 62% of the group’s gold reserves. When combined with Vivien and Penny, it is 53% of the total net present value, according to Macquarie Capital analysts. Production is expected to reduce significantly by the 2029 financial year.

But the more pressing matter for Zeptner has been finding a replacement for Edna May, which it bought from Evolution Mining in 2017. It is now just 2% of the reserves, with a significant production slump ahead in the 2025 financial year. Other bets like the Rebecca project are still a long way from spitting out cash.

Put that all together, and it’s not surprising the management has been on the prowl for acquisitions. Sources told this column logical targets had included Spartan Resources as well as Northern Star’s Carosue Dam. However, the former isn’t operational, while the latter would have been hard to prise from its current owner.

The mooted acquisition at Karora comes after Ramelius acquired ASX-listed gold junior Musgrave Minerals in September.

--- end of excerpt --- [small edits by me]

Disc: I hold RMS and NST shares in real money portfolios, and NST here on SM.

RMS is in a trading halt tonight pending a response to this media speculation in the AFR, which sounds like it's on the money.

Bear77
2 months ago

Update: I sold out of RMS (from my SMSF) on Monday 11th Feb 2024, so I no longer have any direct exposure to RMS. I had also previously held them here but sold that position either last year or the year before. I have not turned bearish on RMS, I just don't think they are currently among my very best ideas in their industry (gold) at this point in time, and that is mostly around not knowing how this latest M&A (with Karora) will pan out. I do often get a bit jumpy when companies make largish acquisition bids for other companies and I can't see the obvious upside in the M&A, hence selling out of ABB (Aussie Broadband) at $4.62 ($4.615 average) on the morning they announced their bid for SLC (Feb 26th), a bid that will clearly not go ahead now. ABB closed at $3.55 yesterday (Friday 15th March), so 23% below my exit price. I explained my reasons for selling ABB here.

@mikebrisy explained his reasons here (you might have to scroll down, the straw is titled, "#Divestment Decision") and subsequent comments on that straw can be found here.

I didn't know the Origin thing was going to occur of course, but I did know that from the scant (2 pages of) info that ABB provided to the market in relation to why they thought buying SLC was a good idea, I remained unconvinced that it was, and it seemed like a very opportunistic move based on ABB's big SP pop (+18.59%) on the previous trading day when they released their H1 report. I have also long thought that SLC was an inferior business - i.e. low quality, and with some internal management issues over the years, and I thought that Bevan Slattery, the founder of the business, quitting the SLC Board in 2021 and selling completely out of SLC was a fair indicator that he saw better opportunities in the market himself, and as the company's founder and previous executive Chairman, he of all people should know.

In short, I liked ABB. But I did not like SLC. And I did not like the idea of ABB buying SLC, particularly just a week after their previous acquisition (of Symbio) had settled (the scheme became legally effective). And I can't afford to fall in love with any company. You have to be prepared to exit immediately when you smell trouble, so I did with ABB on the day they announced that SLC bid.

With RMS it took me a weekend to think about it, and then I sold out on the Monday, mostly because the Karora gold assets just aren't close enough to those gold deposits and/or gold mines/mills that RMS already own, so the obvious synergies weren't there. It became obvious to me that this particular M&A (with RMS) was much more about getting some gold assets with longer mine lives than those already held by Ramelius, and my thoughts then turned to the timing, and I figured that this was probably a bad time to be buying good gold assets - with the gold price making new all time highs on a regular basis, particularly buying a company that is actually doing OK, they're not in distress, and they've not been trading (on the TSX) at particularly cheap levels. Anyway, with the deal still being negotiated and very little info to go on, I thought it best to step aside and watch RMS from the sidelines until everything is much clearer.

I should add - that I'm generally a lot happier when I'm holding the target company in this sort of situation (M&A). I am a lot more comfortable holding the target company than the company that is making the bid to takeover another company, unless the company being taken over is a relatively small acquisition that is either a bolt-on or otherwise has clear strategic value.

Anyway, just thought I'd update this thread to show that unlike what I had previously stated, I actually do NOT hold RMS shares now.

I do hold two companies currently that are under takeover offers from other companies, one is ALU and the other is GNX, and in both cases the potential acquirer is a Japanese company that has lobbed in a bid that has (1) got the target company's board onside and willing to recommend the offer to their own shareholders in the absence of a superior offer, and (2) is priced sufficiently high enough that they are unlikely to get involved in a bidding war with anybody else because at those prices everybody else is likely to not want to get involved. This seems to be a feature of Japanese thinking in recent years, longer term thinking in terms of investment horizons, and also preferring to avoid any sort of conflict by making their best offer up-front and not having to deal with any competition for the asset they want to buy. Simple and clean. I like it a lot.